UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Where To Get Sets and Parts

Notices

Where To Get Sets and Parts For discussions about swapmeets, rallies, NVCF and BVWS, car boot sales, antique and charity shops, dealers, newspaper adverts, the local tip and just about any other source of equipment (other than eBay).

Closed Thread

Old 28th Jan 2023, 1:16 pm   #1
Ambientnoise
Heptode

Default Philips Capela 673

There’s one of these sets at the Hungerford Antiques Arcade at £40. Says “working” which could mean anything of course. Looked intact, not immaculate but quite good under some dust.
Old 29th Jan 2023, 11:17 am   #2
simpsons
Octode

Default Re: Philips Capela 673

Well, Ambient Noise, I have the Philips BD563 Saturn which shares many of the well thought through designs of the BD 673 Capela.

Most importantly, the audio output stage which is a transformerless push pull design into high impedance loudspeakers.

The audio quality is superb. Stupid as it sounds, on my set the speaker cloth moves on bass notes with the side mounted mid/tweeters, with specially shaped "tizzers," directing high notes forward to the listener.

This is some radio and if I was closer to Hungerford I would be very tempted to add the Capela to my "museum of choice."

The radio doesn't let you down on its AM sensitivity but FM is only to 100MHz.

If this wets your appetite, have a look at the schematic to see engineering at its best.

Chris
Old 29th Jan 2023, 11:18 am   #3
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/philip...3a_bd_673.html

Mmm, 5 speakers!
Old 31st Jan 2023, 7:29 pm   #4
PJL
Dekatron

I think this will be a German radio and should go to 108MHz.
Old 3rd Feb 2023, 11:10 am   #5
simpsons
Octode

Well, after much thought I decided to buy the Capela radio Ken, of Ambientnoise, very kindly brought to members attention.

It just so happened that the seller was at Hungerford Antiques Arcade when I called and he sent photo's which when first seeing them made me think twice.

The scratches to the top of the case looked a little too deep for my limited skills but on reading how well other BVWS members have achieved near perfect restoration, who am I not to take on the challenge. Help!!

As mentioned, I have the Philips Saturn 563 which also has the transformerless audio output and You Tube posts of the Capela are very illustrative of the sound quality.

Chris
Closed Thread