UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Feb 2021, 3:52 pm   #1

Default Rear exit 13A plugs

Were there any rear exit, as opposed to bottom exit, BS1363 plugs ever made? I ask because one of them would solve the "pulling on the Hoover (VAX really) lead breaking the socket" problem. It is our "lady that does" does frequently, at least (for the time being) I am "allowed" to replace the socket.

Old 28th Feb 2021, 4:04 pm   #2
dglcomp
Heptode

Default Re: Rear exit 13A plugs

A possible solution would be to fit the vacuum with a European plug and use an adaptor to convert that back to a UK plug.
I.e. use a CEE 7/7 plug and one of these type of adaptors https://travel-blue.com/product/euro...aptor-earthed/
Old 28th Feb 2021, 4:24 pm   #3
emeritus
Dekatron

The only one I have come across is a Clipsal waterproof plug. I got mine from Screwfix many years ago for my external socket. I believe they are still available but I don't think Screwfix sell them now. The Clipsal plug does fit a standard 13A socket, but the compression cord grip is not designed for thin cables.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210228_150917-1.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	227895   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210228_150942-1.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	227896  

Last edited by emeritus; 28th Feb 2021 at 4:33 pm.
Old 28th Feb 2021, 4:25 pm   #4
Lancs Lad
Heptode

Wow! She must be yanking on the cable pretty roughly to damage the socket.

I bet it happens when she's doing the stairs, and pulling the cable upwards from the hall socket and over the banister!

Maybe you could tactfully suggest that she calms down her vacuuming technique a bit - or possibly present her with her very own trailing socket extension lead, so she can easily do the whole house from just the one socket.

Just a suggestion...

Peter.

Last edited by Lancs Lad; 28th Feb 2021 at 4:47 pm.
Old 28th Feb 2021, 4:41 pm   #5
snowman_al
Octode

If you search for 13 Amp straight plug you get several hits. (Example http://internationalconfig.com/icc6.asp?item=72150-SN )
Simplest (cheapest) would be to use one of those 'Easy Pull' or 'Super Grip' plugs with the handle. Then wrap the flex back round the handle so it pulls from the centre and not at 90 degrees?
Old 28th Feb 2021, 4:54 pm   #6

Thanks all, "13 Amp straight plug" the right search clue, Google 'ain't that clever after all, the Super Grip option sounds perfect.
Quote:
I bet it happens when she's doing the stairs, and pulling the cable upwards from the hall socket and over the banister!
. Yes, how did you know?

After posting I thought of adding a lawnmower type plug and socket in line, bright orange may be a bit of a hint too.
Quote:
Maybe you could tactfully suggest that she calms down her vacuuming technique a bit
, no way, finding a good one (lady that does) took years!

Last edited by Guest; 28th Feb 2021 at 4:56 pm. Reason: added a comment

Old 28th Feb 2021, 4:59 pm   #7
Lancs Lad
Heptode

Haha!

I must be psychic

What about the extension lead idea? Or maybe extending the vacuum cleaner cable with a Duraplug lawnmower connector as you suggest, so that she would have to use it to be able to plug the cleaner in?

She reminds me of Hinge and Bracket's cleaner, Maud! She caused mayhem whenever she attempted to use their vacuum cleaner

Peter.

Last edited by Lancs Lad; 28th Feb 2021 at 5:07 pm.
Old 28th Feb 2021, 5:02 pm   #8
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinmaxwell View Post
bright orange may be a bit of a hint too.
But then if the resistance provided by the vacuum cleaner reaching the end of its tether isn't, maybe not.

Not a solution in the short term, but when it next comes to replacing the machine, maybe it would be worth considering going cordless.
Old 28th Feb 2021, 5:19 pm   #9
turretslug
Dekatron

In-line IEC C13/14 pair?
Old 28th Feb 2021, 5:22 pm   #10
Radio Wrangler

One bit I spotted:

UNITED KINGDOM, BRITISH 13 AMPERE-250 VOLT STRAIGHT PLUG, HARD DUTY "IMPACT RESISTANT" (UK1-13P), BS 1363A TYPE G, CLAMP TYPE MULTI-CONDUCTOR TERMINALS, STRAIN RELIEF (CORD GRIP) ACCEPTS 0.236-0.787" (6.0-20.0mm) O.D. CABLES, WIRING TERMINALS ACCEPT 14, 12, 10 AWG SIZE CONDUCTORS. BLACK.
Notes:
* Plug Designed for Industrial / Commercial applications. Not Hi/Fi Audio Equipment Rated.

What was that last bit again?

Not Hi/Fi Audio Equipment Rated.

That's a first on me!

David
Old 28th Feb 2021, 5:29 pm   #11
dglcomp
Heptode

Get a Henry, the longer cable should reduce the chance of stretching the cable, I can just about vaccuum the whole of my Gran's house with out moving the plug.

Or another option would be to fit a "kettle" style connector to the vacuum as I would expect that to pull out before the plug in the wall.

I also wonder what is available in regards to mains plugs designed to separate easily as a safety feature.
Old 28th Feb 2021, 5:42 pm   #12
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

An IEC male/female mated-pair would seem a good option.

I used this with my late mother: in her 90s she didn't 'get' the idea that the kettle lifted-off the powered base, and would pick up the kettle-and-base to pour the boiling-water, only to discover for the umpteenth time that the flex from wall-socket-to-base was rather short and provided an abrupt end to her kettle-carrying. For safety, I fitted an inline IEC309 pair so this would separate-easily-when-tugged, so stopping her slopping boiling water over herself.
Old 28th Feb 2021, 6:10 pm   #13
Philips210
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancs Lad View Post

She reminds me of Hinge and Bracket's cleaner, Maud! She caused mayhem whenever she attempted to use their vacuum cleaner
Talking of mayhem involving a vacuum cleaner, see the linked Youtube video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rM_HyLXldfc

Regards,
Symon

Last edited by Philips210; 28th Feb 2021 at 6:17 pm.
Old 28th Feb 2021, 6:27 pm   #14
Leon Crampin
Octode

Get a "brick" type 2 or 3 way 13A adapter and cable tie the vac's plug into a side or top outlet.

Leon.
Old 28th Feb 2021, 6:47 pm   #15
Lancs Lad
Heptode

About fifteen years ago I had a Vax vacuum cleaner (£34.99 from Tesco) that had a 10 metre cable.

I could vacuum my whole 3 bed semi-detached house with the machine plugged in to the same socket in the downstairs lobby.

Why aren't vacuum cleaner cables all a sensible length? I bought quite an expensive Bissell vacuum cleaner, and it's cable was only five metres long. What earthly good is that? I was forever unplugging and plugging in. It's such a good machine aswell, but the ridiculously short cable lets it down.

How long were the cables on the 1970s Hoover Juniors and Seniors that I grew up with? They always seemed to be long enough to do the job.

And most of them, I seem to remember, for some reason, had an Ashley plug on the end of them. At least, the ones in our family did! Don't know why!

Did Ashley only ever make one style of plug? The big rectangular one!

Peter.

Last edited by Lancs Lad; 28th Feb 2021 at 7:02 pm.
Old 28th Feb 2021, 6:49 pm   #16
mark_in_manc
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by emeritus View Post
The only one I have come across is a Clipsal waterproof plug. I got mine from Screwfix many years ago for my external socket. I believe they are still available but I don't think Screwfix sell them now. The Clipsal plug does fit a standard 13A socket, but the compression cord grip is not designed for thin cables.
I've got a couple of 'Clang' ones like that, with a screw collar designed to attach (waterproof) to a heavy duty rcd socket. They're cast alloy and rather heavy. You'd be welcome, but I reckon she'd swing it about and break all sorts of things on the way, or at least knock paint off here there and everywhere!
Old 28th Feb 2021, 6:56 pm   #17
OscarFoxtrot
Heptode

Use the top socket on a 2-way cube adapter?
Or splice in a section of coily cable so it's a gradual pull rather than a sudden tug.
Old 28th Feb 2021, 7:42 pm   #18
turretslug
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_in_manc View Post

I've got a couple of 'Clang' ones like that, with a screw collar designed to attach (waterproof) to a heavy duty rcd socket. They're cast alloy and rather heavy. You'd be welcome, but I reckon she'd swing it about and break all sorts of things on the way, or at least knock paint off here there and everywhere!
Goodness, I recall those, I think there may be one sculling around in the loft still- how to turn a camel of a connector into a lame elephant...

Yes, I think this would be a frying-pan-into-fire situation, a small-but-jagged demolition ball flying around randomly!
Old 28th Feb 2021, 10:22 pm   #19
emeritus
Dekatron

Re #10:

* Plug Designed for Industrial / Commercial applications. Not Hi/Fi Audio Equipment Rated.

Perhaps due to the minimum cable diameter of 6mm? Audio/hifi cables are seldom this large, unless you are an audiophool.
Old 28th Feb 2021, 10:28 pm   #20

The machine is a VAX with long enough wire, chosen by her, who am I to argue? I like the IEC idea I have some in line plugs in stock.

Closed Thread