UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 9th May 2021, 9:46 am   #1
vinrads
Dekatron

Default Saying goodbye to an old friend ,my Fluke meter !

I had this Marconi T18 radio in for repair , there was no sound but heaters so I needed to check the ht , a convenient place was the output tx , when touching the meter probe on one of the terminals I thought I saw a spark , how could that be , looked down at the meter there was no display ,switched it off after a while switched it back on again still nothing, so back to the radio ,it turned out that the speaker was oc , and the capacitor from anode to earth also oc , making the o/p tx a nice spark generator and killing my meter which I have had from new ,A Fluke 73 RS , I don't suppose it is repairable . The only good thing is that I wasn't using my new Fluke117 true rms one phew . I bet the old AVO 8 would have laughed it off , Mick.
Old 9th May 2021, 9:52 am   #2
Station X

Default Re: Saying goodbye to an old friend ,my Fluke meter !

Check the fuse/s and fusible resistor/s inside the meter. They may have protected it which is what they're designed to do.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 9th May 2021, 10:44 am   #3
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

It is very, very difficult to kill a Fluke. If you really have killed it, it must have been a fluke.

I'll get my coat.
Old 9th May 2021, 10:48 am   #4
Station X

Circuit here:-

http://bee.mif.pg.gda.pl/ciasteczkow...%20Service.pdf

Two fuses and a 1k fusible resistor. I have stocks of these resistors shoould you need one.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 9th May 2021, 11:07 am   #5
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

Oh no! I do hope you can fix it, they are very good meters! I’ve got an old Fluke 23, which looks similar, and I’ve zapped that on several occasions when working on old TV’s, I’m sure I zapped it off the top of the line output valve before now, and it beeped and the display went blank, but after taking the battery out and refitting it after a while it came back to life seemingly unharmed.

Regards
Lloyd
Old 9th May 2021, 2:00 pm   #6
vinrads
Dekatron

Thanks for the info Graham I will having a look at it later , Lloyd I have taken the battery out will try it back in later , Mick.
Closed Thread