UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Jun 2019, 5:28 pm   #1
gary_crutchley
Heptode

Default Ace Embassy 50

Hi all,

I have recently been given an Ace Embassy 50 radio. I can't find any specific service data for this set, but the chassis looks very similar to the circuit for the 357S or 3561S diagram that I purchased from Paul's site. The image "Model" shows the set details attached to the chassis.

I have removed the chassis to have a look at the condition of the components underneath. As a result I have a couple of questions, if anyone can help me please.

Firstly after removing the chassis, a black wire has parted company with its original connection point. It clearly wasn't well soldered, but I'm unsure where it connects, you can see it on the left in "Image 1". It appears to go to the on/off tone switch. It originates at a junction between UU12 valve and the 32+32+8uF electrolytic, which can be seen in "Image 2", it goes through the rubber grommet. Can anyone help me to understand where it should connect please, and what it's purpose is?

Secondly, I noticed that one of the caps is deeply cracked and needs to be changed, see image "Cap". The brand appears to be "WIMA"? This particular 3300pF cap connects to the EABC80. However, there are several others of the same type. These show surface crazing of the brown glaze, but no cracks. Should I replace them all?

Many thanks in advance.

Regards,

Gary
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Model.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	185214   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image 1.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	128.9 KB
ID:	185215   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image 2.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	190.8 KB
ID:	185216   Click image for larger version

Name:	cap.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	190.4 KB
ID:	185217  
Old 16th Jun 2019, 5:52 pm   #2
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Default Re: Ace Embassy 50

Wima capacitors have, shall we say, a reputation. Change them on sight.
Old 16th Jun 2019, 7:32 pm   #3
CambridgeWorks
Nonode

Yes, even back in 1967 when I worked for "Modern Television" in Peterborough they were a blanket replacement in Grundig tape recorders. Fitted Mullard "Mustards" replacements IIRC.
Rob
Old 16th Jun 2019, 7:55 pm   #4
gary_crutchley
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1152 View Post
Wima capacitors have, shall we say, a reputation. Change them on sight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by robinshack View Post
Yes, even back in 1967 when I worked for "Modern Television" in Peterborough they were a blanket replacement in Grundig tape recorders. Fitted Mullard "Mustards" replacements IIRC.
Rob
Thanks both, that's very helpful. The set does actually function surprisingly, I tried it on my lamp limiter.

Can anyone advise on the disconnected wire that I mentioned please?

Gary
Old 16th Jun 2019, 8:34 pm   #5
ms660
Dekatron

That part of the layout in the photo's looks very similar to the layout shown in the Ace Crescendo service sheet (Trader)

If one end of that disconnected black wire is connected to chassis it's possible that the disconnected end might have been soldered to the body of the tone pot, it looks as though the bottom end resistor in the tone circuit (connected to the right hand tag of the pot in the 2nd photo) might also be soldered to the pots body?

Lawrence.
Old 16th Jun 2019, 9:26 pm   #6
gary_crutchley
Heptode

Thanks Lawrence, I'll take another look. It does appear that the underside connection is to a chassis tag. I thought the wire had disconnected when I took the chassis out, but looking again at the photo I think it may have been off for a while. I presume the set would still work if this ground was disconnected?
Old 16th Jun 2019, 9:57 pm   #7
ms660
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary_crutchley View Post
I presume the set would still work if this ground was disconnected?
In the scenario I suggested and going by the Crescendo schematic, yes the receiver would work ok but only if the tone pots body had continuity with the chassis via its fixing nut etc otherwise g1 of the output valve would be floating which would mean the output valve would be operating with no bias.

Lawrence.
Old 16th Jun 2019, 10:31 pm   #8
gary_crutchley
Heptode

Thanks Lawrence.
Closed Thread