UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 18th May 2008, 10:02 pm   #1
Leon Crampin
Octode

Default Removing BBC R1..R4 diamond markers.

Many radios appear with these markers stuck to the tuning scale and they can be extremely difficult to remove.

Having just acquired a Bush VHF64 for restoration which is festooned with these stickers, does anyone have a good way of softening these things to permit easy removal?

Leon.
Old 18th May 2008, 10:28 pm   #2
igranic
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Removing BBC R1..R4 diamond markers.

Leon

I find that aerosol label remover works well, but if the adhesive has become stubborn through heat or UV exposure then patience, repeated applications, and 'teasing' with a plastic trimming tool may be required.

If the scale is glass, then a typists correction blade or scalpel can be used to scrape the stickers off (obviously, this technique should not be used on perspex or polycarbonate tuning scales). Any remaining glue can usually be shifted with label remover or white spirit applied with a cloth.

HTH
Edward
Old 18th May 2008, 10:36 pm   #3
batterymaker1
Heptode

Automotive hand cleaner--the white cream type, not with pumice--is famous for removing adhesive stickers and tape.
Old 18th May 2008, 10:47 pm   #4
paulsherwin

Plain old white spirit will do it, but it takes patience and repeated applications as the liquid needs to seep in from the edges. It will help if you can get some of the plastic off with a fingernail.

Paul
Old 18th May 2008, 11:38 pm   #5
Steve_P
Dekatron

Well I go and get a lolly from the local shop, eat the lolly and then use White Spirit and the lollystick. This is one way of shifting them with something that won't harm the glass.

And I do like those Chocolate ones...

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 19th May 2008, 10:32 am   #6
ben
Dekatron

heat the area with a hairdryer (carefully). the heat loosens up the adhesive of labels. works like a charm. On older/ encrusted things this may not work too well though.

Last edited by Station X; 22nd May 2008 at 8:34 am.
Old 19th May 2008, 10:45 am   #7
wireless_paul
Hexode

Location: World Heritage Village of Saltaire, Shipley, West Riding of Yorkshire.

I have in the past removed these labels, but being more involved in selling vintage items these days, I do believe if these labels are neatly attached and are still readable, they should not be removed. They are after all part of the history of that radio.
Paul
Old 19th May 2008, 11:37 am   #8
Tom_I
Heptode

I generally use isopropanol (or aerosol switch cleaner), let it soak for a while, then use a fingernail. Same principle as Steve's lolly stick, but slightly more hands-on.

It works (eventually), but it's a bit of a pain.
Old 19th May 2008, 4:35 pm   #9
Leon Crampin
Octode

Thanks everybody, I'll try your suggestions. As it's a glass scale, I can always finish up with paint stripper - these particular labels seem extremely stubborn.

The way this lot have been stuck onto an otherwise reasonable looking VHF 64 doesn't enhance its appearance at all! (The same owner sanctioned the drilling of a hole in the side of the cabinet to fit a mains toggle switch rather than repairing the original Plessey item fitted to the push-button bank - I've now fixed this).

The things people do to radios...

Leon.
Old 19th May 2008, 7:58 pm   #10
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon Crampin View Post
As it's a glass scale...
You're laughing then!

I would take out the glass, put it on a dead-flat surface with a cloth underneath to protect the screenprinting, then use a paint scraper - the sort that's fitted with a Stanley-knife blade.

Once the plastic's gone, use WD40 to remove the glue, then some IPA to remove the oily residue.

Nick.
Old 20th May 2008, 11:38 pm   #11
Leon Crampin
Octode

A final update. The stickers are now all off without any other damage.

I tried all sorts of solvents and none had any significant effect - the glue is rock-hard. Luckily it's a glass scale so scratching is not a major problem. As the scale was out of the set anyway I positioned it horizontally and put one drop of thin machine oil on each "diamond" and let it soak overnight. I then scraped off each sticker with a Stanley knife blade held at a shallow angle. The oil makes the job easier and probably lessens the chances of any scratching - there was none when I had finished.

Thanks for all contributions.

Leon.
Old 22nd May 2008, 8:38 pm   #12
camtechman
Nonode

Still got those stickers on my little homebrew "Golden Virginia" radio that I built some years back (when I used to roll my own):
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Golden Virginia Radio.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	17369   Click image for larger version

Name:	Golden Virginia Radio Inside.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	17370  
Closed Thread