UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Apr 2008, 2:43 pm   #1
Pete_kaye
Octode

Thumbs down Disgusting smell from radio chassis.

I am stripping down an old 1935 TRF described elsewhere and was cleaning around the dropper and noticed a terrible smell-like dust,dirt and mouldy fish.Is it from the decaying dropper which has white asbestos centre?The cabinet smells fine inside.
Old 18th Apr 2008, 2:44 pm   #2
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: Disgusting smell

The classic smelly thing in old radios is any failing selenium rectifier

Don't forget that dead mice occasionally turn up too
Old 18th Apr 2008, 2:47 pm   #3
geofy
Retired Dormant Member

Exclamation Re: Disgusting smell

Could be from a selenium rectifier, these smell pretty gross when they fail.

Just don't breath in that asbestos dust.

Geof
Old 18th Apr 2008, 2:54 pm   #4
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Hang on, I'm sure selenuim recs weren't around in 1935... could be a replacement though, I suppose
Old 18th Apr 2008, 3:30 pm   #5
BassoonBloke
Pentode

Smile Re: Disgusting smell

Hi All,
just as a point of interest, i have a very early Ekco Radio at home (mains powered, 1930) and it uses a large long HW Selenium rectifier. So they were definately around.
Thinking about it my Pye Sunrise (E-AC 1932 i think) also uses a single, centre tapped selenium rectifier as a voltage doubler in its power supply.

And boy do they stink when they finally let go!! (think open case triplers in 1400 series tv's when they give up the ghost - Phew!!)

Cheers,
Alan.
Old 18th Apr 2008, 3:57 pm   #6
BassoonBloke
Pentode

Smile Re: Disgusting smell

You know i could be wrong about selenium rectifiers. According to a search on the web, they first appeared in 1933. Maybe i got a bit confuzzed, and was thinking of metal rectifiers - D'oh !!

Apologies,
Alan.
Old 18th Apr 2008, 4:04 pm   #7
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

What glue would've been used on the cabinet 70+ years ago? Would it have been made from animal-derived substances? I'm wondering if the radio's been exposed to damp and/or stored under certain conditions which have caused this glue to degrade and stink.
Old 18th Apr 2008, 5:45 pm   #8
Aerodyne
Octode

I've not come across any type of metal oxide rectifier in a prewar radio that failed so as to cause a stink like the one mentioned here. Neither is the animal glue that most surely would have been used for cabinet assembly going to cause much smell. All in all, failing another more likely cause, the dead mouse/rat has it...
-Tony
Old 19th Apr 2008, 12:48 am   #9
Steve_P
Dekatron

Take the Electrolytics out, and any non-valve diodes. If the dropper reads bad, chuck this too. Put the case, back and knobs in a bag with some cat litter for a week. Clean the chassis as much as you can, remove the valves and do the same with this. (Cat litter is great for absorbing nasty smalls.)

Remove, seal and dispose of any Asbestos.

Should shift it.

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 19th Apr 2008, 7:31 am   #10
howard
Nonode

Hello,

It's sure smelly down here in Surrey ... I have a Hacker RP37A here which I'm sure was the target of a territorial tom cat and even two years after I restored it, it still stinks. Maybe cat litter will do the trick ... shame it wasn't available to the cat .....

Howard
Old 19th Apr 2008, 9:42 am   #11
Alan Stepney
Rest in Peace

The great advantage of selenium rectifiers is that often you can detect when they are faulty from across the room.
None of this time wasting, removing the back, checking voltages, etc.

One quick whiff, and, "yes, I know whats wrong".
Old 19th Apr 2008, 10:42 am   #12
Aerodyne
Octode

Alan is right, of course - with TV EHT rectifier tray elements, but I still maintain that I've not come across a selenium or other type of metal rectifier in a radio that has created anything like the stench of those old TV triplers and quadrupler trays. If anything, radio rectifiers seem to go high resistance and virtually stop working. Anyone know different?
-Tony
Old 19th Apr 2008, 3:08 pm   #13
dave_n_t
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerodyne View Post
If anything, radio rectifiers seem to go high resistance and virtually stop working. Anyone know different?
-Tony
Well, in about 1973 I had a gram selenium rectifier go really bad . (The gram was a Grundig job, with stereo s/e EL84 output). I was only into transistors then, so the obvious replacement using an encapsulated silicon bridge was right up my street. (Sadly, the gram eventually fell out of favour at home and while I was away at college was ditched ).

dave
Old 19th Apr 2008, 7:27 pm   #14
Oldtimer74
Rest in Peace

Warning. Selenium compounds are toxic if inhaled. I don`t have the latest data but in 1992 the limit for selenium compounds in air (other than hydrogen selenide which is only half as toxic) was 0.1 mg/cubic metre for long term exposure. short term exposure was not quoted.
If anything the limit now could be lower.
Don`t breathe the stuff!!
Pat
Old 19th Apr 2008, 7:43 pm   #15
PJL
Dekatron

The heat from the dropper causes substantial airflow. Cigarette tar, coal tar, cooking oils all accumulate on the chassis around the dropper. Add water and you release some of those smells.

My guess anyway...
Old 20th Apr 2008, 8:58 pm   #16
SPCh
Rest in Peace

My money's on the selenium rectifier:
the smell is almost unique in nature, and unforgettable.
(I've had the decomposing mice and tobacco smoke, but they don't come anywhere close -
from a servicing viewpoint, you change the rectifier without even bothering to find the Trader Sheet).

The only other place I've ever encountered it
(sorry, Moderators, too much info, I know, but not quite OT)
was when I had a tooth drilled to relieve the pressure on an abscessed nerve.

After 40 years I still haven't quite got rid of the taste !
Old 21st Apr 2008, 2:32 pm   #17
Pete_kaye
Octode

Well that produced the biggest response I have ever had.To clarify;the chassis was already out of the wooden case and wasn't damp.I was concerned that I was inhaling some poisonous fumes but I seem to be still here. I will return to it soon.and I think I will wear a fume/dust mask.
I would post a copy of the smell but we haven't got the technology yet.
Closed Thread