UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Aug 2007, 9:43 pm   #1
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Default Repairing Veneered Cabinets

What is the best way to refit narrow strips (abt3/4" wide) of veneer which are peeling off a Radiogram Cabinet stored of neccessity(nowhere else to put it!) in a rather damp cellar for almost two years. Would a standard wood glue be suitable?
Old 29th Aug 2007, 11:16 pm   #2
plumbweiss
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Repairing Veneered Cabinets

Yeah thats what I use, (PVA eg unibond) applied with an old paintbrush with the bristles cut short, avoid scratching the veneer by padding with thick polythene or tape..easier to peel away than card if glue gets on it, and excess is wiped easily with a damp sponge.

If you use Evostik or other contact adhesive its okay (but dear), so long as you spread it very thinly, it tends to make veneer 'ride high' and can be messy if it oozes out but thats just my opinion!
Old 30th Aug 2007, 8:31 am   #3
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

If the cabinet is still going to be stored in the damp cellar then it will only get worse !
Old 30th Aug 2007, 8:44 am   #4
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Thanks, Plumbweiss. I will follow your advice. Wish I could get it moved out of the cellar, but I've no room elsewhere to store it pending repair.
Old 30th Aug 2007, 10:15 am   #5
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

How about investing in a cheap, secondhand dehumidifier? I suspect a lot will turn up when the damage from the recent floods has been dealt with.
Old 30th Aug 2007, 12:08 pm   #6
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Good idea, Nick.
We have two - one in the house (it's a bungalow) and one in my workshop-cum-garage. In spring and autumn they can shift 5 litres a day!
One was secondhand from ebay, t'other off freecycle.