UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 25th May 2019, 3:44 pm   #1
avocollector
Heptode

Default Avo 8???

Bought this off the local NZ internet auction site trademe. Not seen one quite like it before as it has no divide by 2 button just a reverse MC one and a divide by 100 ohms position as well as a LR switch position (Low Resistance). On the back the instructions seem to say it's a 8 mk 3 but both the front and the meter say only 8.

Don't know how rare these models are but if anybody has any info that would be great. Some pics below.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	183824   Click image for larger version

Name:	003.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	183825   Click image for larger version

Name:	004.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	183826   Click image for larger version

Name:	005.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	183827  
Old 25th May 2019, 5:07 pm   #2
The Philpott
Dekatron

Default Re: Avo 8???

Excellent! i think that is indeed a fairly early Mk.III Model 8. They were up to serial number 79,000 by year 1968 so 2,400 is an early bird. The little '8 ball' button on the front facia has been seen before, but not very often. Perhaps it is a feature that was phased out as time went on.

There will be probably be more windings inside than you would find on a later Mk III, component resistors proliferated later on in the production run.

This is the swiss army knife of Avo's i suppose, but the x100 gap between the resistance ranges is a little bit of a handicap.

Dave
Old 25th May 2019, 5:20 pm   #3
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Hmm... does not the back plate refer to the meter being a Model S MkIII?

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=124814

Paul
Old 25th May 2019, 5:50 pm   #4
pmmunro
Octode

Based on advertising, the Model 8 Mk III was introduced in June 1964, so you're right Dave, this would be an early Mk III. Possibly the "8 Mk III" buttons were not available early on but I think you're right they fell into disuse later.

Avocollector,

The Model 8 always had a REV MC (Reverse Moving Coil) push button switch. The Divide by Two facility was used on the Model 7 and Model 40 of this era and was first used in 1933 to expand the 20 ranges of the "Universal Avometer" to 34 ranges, soon afterwards becoming 36-ranges. The feature was patented (GB 423199) but the patent was successfully chalenged by Taylor Instruments. I haven't found any evidence that the feature was ever used by Taylor, not unless you count the Model 8 Mk V as a Taylor instrument since its centre pole movement was to a Taylor patent and the Mk V design was largely the responsibility of an engineer who came from Taylor when they were taken over by AVO.

PMM
Old 25th May 2019, 7:24 pm   #5
Sinewave
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_RK View Post

Paul
That's an 8 with a slightly scratched rear plate. The scratch makes the 8 look like an S at quick glance.
Old 25th May 2019, 7:50 pm   #6
The Philpott
Dekatron

Paul-
Does look like an 'S' but it's likely just an '8' with a scratch across it! (Edit- Anthony beat me to it)

NZ Peter-
Watch that leather strap; they're (only) good for 50yrs or so.. Any held up to my ear that crackle when pinched get de-commissioned!

Dave
Old 26th May 2019, 2:20 pm   #7
avocollector
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_RK View Post

Paul
Hi - no I've looked under a 10x lens and it IS a scratch - you can see traces of the 8 on the right hand side. So it says 8 mkIII.
Old 26th May 2019, 2:26 pm   #8
avocollector
Heptode

Thanks to everybody for the information - not come across one of these models before and all the other earlier 8's I've got are marked 8 mkII or 8 mk III from memory on the front button. Must go and get them out and have a look!! Amazing the variants - before I started collecting these about 10 years ago there were just large black Avos in my mind and I never realised there were different models until I joined this forum.
Old 26th May 2019, 2:36 pm   #9
Refugee
Dekatron

At college we had 7s and 8s and were told all about ohms per volt.
10 meg ohm electronic volt meters were quite special at the time but we were shown one.
I have ended up with two 9s in my workshop but at least they are the same ohms per volt as 8s and with only a small difference in the ranges get pretty close to an 8 on valve gear.
Closed Thread