UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Oct 2018, 11:53 pm   #1
Silentkeyg3nie
Retired Dormant Member

Default Marconi radiogram

Hello
As you guess from the title my dad has passed away. I wish I had stumbled over this site before I'd got rid of most of his equipment, as I'm sure someone would have appreciated his massive collection of "treasures".
I am left with some vintage transmitting equipment and a Marconi radiogram. I put the radiogram on gumtree for £50 and very quickly had an email from a very kind gentleman telling me I was underselling it by £800!
Could anyone tell me please if he's right?!
If someone could tell me how to attach a photo I will do.
It's in a large wooden cabinet with s metal grill in the centre front.
Thank you in anticipation.
Old 14th Oct 2018, 12:36 am   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Marconi radiogram

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?p=501050

Sorry to hear of your loss.

It is extremely unlikely that your radiogram is worth £850, though I suppose it's not impossible. Ultimately things are worth what somebody is prepared to pay for them, so you never know.
Old 14th Oct 2018, 1:02 am   #3
ukcol
Rest in Peace

I have found one "Marconi Radiogram" for sale at £850 in Cambridge on Gumtree and assume that is yours.

The cabinet is a 1930s Marconi radiogram although I haven't identified the model. But the original Marconi insides have gone and it look like it has an amplifier and a Garrard 301 transcription turntable fitted. The work looks like it has been nicely done but its value doesn't come from it being a 1930s Marconi radiogram.

Any value comes frome the Garrard 301 turntable; they can fetch 4 figure sums in good condition.

Do an advanced search on ebay entering "Garrard 301 turntable" and ticking the "sold items" box.
Old 14th Oct 2018, 1:26 am   #4
Paul_RK
Dekatron

I don't recognise the amplifier, but it looks of an age to be a valve type and that too may have considerable worth. It may be in two (or possibly three) substantial pieces, the control unit with its knobs on the top panel and the main amplifier chassis perhaps on the cabinet floor., or the unit behind the knobs may be the whole thing (an "integrated" amplifier). It does look as though nothing remains of the radiogram but its cabinet, which won't itself be of any significant value.

Paul
Closed Thread