UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 5th Nov 2005, 6:25 pm   #1
telstar
Octode

Default JB Kwik Weld adhesive

Hi. Whilst looking around through my local Halfords store, I came across a two-part Adhesive marketed as JB Kwik Weld (U.S.A manufactured), which is used for joining metal parts such as iron, steel, aluminium, brass, bronze, copper & pewter (also non metallic items as well). It fixes, and fills and bonds to any rigid surface, and can be ground, drilled & machined. It is resistant to water and chemicals, withstands temperatures to 150 deg C, and a tensile strength of 2500lbs psi. It cost about £5.99
I reckon that it will be a useful accessory for those of us that require a good strong adhesive for repairing old radio sets. Sometimes ordinary Araldite does not always bond very well when it comes to joining metal to metal (although they do have their own special glue for metal and other materials).
Best wishes
Mike
Old 14th Nov 2005, 6:05 pm   #2
stephanie
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: JB Kwik Weld adhesive

Quote:
Originally Posted by telstar
Hi. Whilst looking around through my local Halfords store, I came across a two-part Adhesive marketed as JB Kwik Weld
There are two types of this adhesive.

One is JB Weld, the ultra-strong two-part epoxy adhesive that can join metals and other such stuff. It's supposed to be industrial strength and takes about 24 hours or so to fully set. In other words, leave the repair sitting overnight for a day.

JB Kwik-Weld is the more house-hold duty type stuff. Sets in 4 minutes so you don't have to wait as long to get the item back in service. It's also not as strong as JB Weld.

Go here:
http://jbweld.net/products/index.php

I bought a set of JB-Weld (the first type) last Friday. I haven't used it yet, but once I do, I'll report back on the results.
Old 14th Nov 2005, 8:52 pm   #3
telstar
Octode

Hi Stephanie. Many thanks for your message. I hope to use my JB Kwik-Weld on joining some aluminium parts together (part of the electrolytic capacitor of my 1933 Philips 834A T.R.F radio). Araldite did not make that good a join, so I recently noticed this product. I am always interested in new products like this, that will be useful in the hobby of restoring vintage radios.
Kind regards
Mike
Old 14th Nov 2005, 9:07 pm   #4
mikelect
Retired Dormant Member

It is nearly impossible to join aluminium with conventional adhesives because it is permanently covered in an oxide layer which even if you abrade it will reform faster than you can apply the adhesive the only success I've had with gluing aluminium is with hot melt adhesive and heating the metal at the same time this did appear to give a decent bond but I wouldn't trust it under any kind of load HTH

Mike
Old 14th Nov 2005, 10:30 pm   #5
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Folks, If it's metal to metal Alu-sol works well and will also solder "normal metals. RS and Farnell have it as well as hobby metal stockists.

HTH Ed
Old 15th Nov 2005, 9:49 am   #6
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

If you can heat the job up, it is not difficult to weld aluminium. I can hear the pooh-poohs coming now.........

Have a look at http://www.frost.co.uk/item_Detail.asp?productID=8823
I have been using it for years, and have had a 100% success rate with all sorts of items.
All you need is a small blowtorch.
Old 24th Nov 2005, 12:45 am   #7
FrankB
Heptode

JB Weld is great stuff.

Here in the US it is available in several types.

Personally I like the 5 minute variety for most jobs.

Its great for repairing broken cabinets & knobs, radiators, attaching broken metal lugs to castings like on an alternator or thermostat housing, etc.
The big thing is to be sure the parts are totally clean. I use denatured alcohol;
AND let it set completely. I like to even let the 5 min stuff set overnight.
Fixed a broken VCR gear with it the other day too.
Closed Thread