UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Dec 2019, 8:00 pm   #1
Dickie
Octode

Default HMV Cavendish fan

Yes it's that time of year again. Owing to a central heating malfunction I got my Cavendish heater out of retirement to use as a heater (rather than an ornament), and discovered that the fan was a lot noisier than I remembered. From what I have read these are normally quiet little things. So I took the motor apart to give it a good clean and oil and discovered that there is a lot of wear in the bronze bearings. No doubt due to it not being oiled on the correct date every year.
Has anyone tried re-bushing these bearings? I notice you can buy "Oilite" bushes that would probably fit. I have done similar on old clocks in the past using brass bushings, but are there any potential pitfalls to doing it with sintered bronze? I guess the bronze is going to be a lot harder and less malleable?

Richard, BVWS member
Old 21st Dec 2019, 9:49 am   #2
Dickie
Octode

Default Re: HMV Cavendish fan

I detect there's not a lot of interest in this topic! To wrap it up, I discovered that a standard off-the-shelf oil-filled bush will fit quite easily. This is convenient, as apparently any attempt at machining sintered bronze is likely to plug up all the gaps between the bronze particles and prevent the automatic lubrication process.

My fan is now a lot quieter.

Richard, BVWS member
Old 21st Dec 2019, 3:44 pm   #3
Silicon
Nonode

It is good to know that they are readily available.

What size was the Oilite bearing?
Old 21st Dec 2019, 4:28 pm   #4
Dickie
Octode

It wasn't an Oilite product, as they didn't offer the right size. They were described as an "oil filled bronze bush" size 3/16" ID, 5/16" OD, 3/8" long, from

www.simplybearings.co.uk

Richard, BVWS member
Old 21st Dec 2019, 6:34 pm   #5
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

Good to know that you can get replacement bearings, I have a beaten up old greenhouse heater in my shed and it’s motor is rattling rather loudly these days! I was just going to replace the whole motor if I could find a cheap one.

Regards
Lloyd
Closed Thread