UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Jan 2020, 10:06 pm   #1
1100 man
Octode

Default Where has the Thorn TV chassis guide gone?

Hi,
Every so often I have a need to find out which chassis is fitted to a certain model number of Thorn group TV sets.

There has always been a readily accessible cross reference that I find by typing "Thorn tv guide" into Google. It's always first on the list. I think it's something to do with the Vrat site but I can't find it on there either. It listed every model of colour & B/W set from all the different Thorn brands and showed which chassis was fitted.

I've searched in lots of different ways but can find no trace of it! Does anyone know where it's gone, or even better have a link to it?

Cheers
Nick
Old 5th Jan 2020, 10:14 pm   #2
Trigon.
Hexode

Default Re: Where has the Thorn TV chassis guide gone?

Is this what you're looking for?

https://www.radios-tv.co.uk/brc-thorn-chassis-guide/

Cheers
Old 5th Jan 2020, 11:06 pm   #3
1100 man
Octode

Brilliant, that's exactly the one. I still can't find any reference to it on Google, no matter what I search for! I wonder why? Always used to be there

Many thanks
Nick
Old 6th Jan 2020, 12:15 am   #4
nigelr2000
Heptode

Might be worth a quick malware scan (www.malwarebytes.com enter the address direct in the address bar not via a search) as you may have had your search engine hi-jacked, see it all the time on customers pc's search for something that should be there and it misdirects you to something else whilst doing a good impression of the google search page.
Old 6th Jan 2020, 10:54 am   #5
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100 man View Post
I still can't find any reference to it on Google, no matter what I search for! I wonder why? Always used to be there
Maybe they've done something (presumably inadvertently) to get themselves knocked off Google's radar.
Old 6th Jan 2020, 11:12 am   #6
Trigon.
Hexode

I only found it on Google indirectly, more by luck. I searched:

thorn tv chassis guide -bird (to remove all the "thorn bird" results...)

- and the first hit was a post on this forum where I just happened to notice the link appearing within the text snippet!

Cheers
Old 6th Jan 2020, 1:30 pm   #7
jayceebee
Heptode

Some info about the problem with Google from Chris the Vrat owner here
Old 6th Jan 2020, 2:11 pm   #8
bluepilot
Heptode

Personally I couldn't care less whether Google finds my site or not. It's enough of a niche interest that probably almost anyone who is interested in it knows it's there anyway. More problematic is finding content within the site once you're there. If you host your own site there are indexing utilities you can use. Probably you can use them on a hosted site providing the hosting is the right sort and you pay enough. Personally I find www.master.com very useful. Up to a certain limit they will provide you with an index free of charge.

The golden age is always yesterday - Asa Briggs
Old 6th Jan 2020, 11:21 pm   #9
1100 man
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayceebee View Post
Now that's interesting! I did wonder if it was due to some change that Google had made and it seems that it is.

If I need to go to the Vrat site, I always just type 'Vrat' into Google and it's the second in the list. Now there is no mention of it at all!

I can understand why Chris is annoyed.

It seems that with the ever increasing use of mobile devices, decent website design has been sacrificed to make sites work on mobile & desktop. I truly hate how many modern sites behave and look. One of the many things I love about this site is it's really old fashioned look and ease of use. I really hope we can keep it that way for as long as possible!

Cheers
Nick
Old 6th Jan 2020, 11:46 pm   #10
slidertogrid
Octode

Quote:

One of the many things I love about this site is it's really old fashioned look and ease of use. I really hope we can keep it that way for as long as possible!

Cheers
Nick
I would like to second that! I'm not sure if this site is old fashioned but it is easy to navigate and very well run.
When the VRAT forum changed to the latest version I found it awkward to navigate. I quickly lost interest and very rarely visit.

I too hope this forum stays the same as it is "if it ain't broke...…"

P.S. sorry if this is off topic!
Old 6th Jan 2020, 11:56 pm   #11
Red to black
Nonode

Chris is actually one of the good guys, he puts a lot of time and effort into resources not available elsewhere, same as Golbourne too, just a shame we are all scattered across three forums now due to historical and political reasons

Last edited by Red to black; 7th Jan 2020 at 12:03 am.
Old 7th Jan 2020, 12:09 am   #12
slidertogrid
Octode

Don't get me wrong I am not criticising in any way. I have spoken to Chris on the old forum on many occasions. I sent him some Marconi Brochures, a 3500 service manual and bought his "Naked" Barrel Murphy which he had restored.
I'm Just saying I found the latest incarnation of his website difficult to use. That's me, I'm a real Luddite!
It is a shame that we are all fragmented into three forums I agree, but I don't want to get into that!
I will have another look at VRAT.. Must try harder!
Rich.
Old 7th Jan 2020, 12:14 am   #13
Red to black
Nonode

No Rich, I seriously don't want to ever get into that again
The less said the better
Best leave it where it is

Last edited by Red to black; 7th Jan 2020 at 12:19 am.
Old 7th Jan 2020, 12:54 am   #14
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Vrat has lots of data, some requires the member to be active to access but there is a great deal that is open access and all free.
The navigation is different to UKVRRR and Goborne but just different and not difficult to find your way around, just a matter of getting used to it.
Chris as done a lot of work to make it more accessible, very worthwhile trying it out and use the three sites to complement each other.

Access outside the UK is very limited due to the amount of DOS attacks it fends off. I raised the question of the Netherlands having problems and the quote from his email. I did have permission from Chris to post this.
Quote "Unfortunately the Netherlands currently generates between 8,000 – 10,000 denial of service and SQL injection attack per day. Yes 8-10K !!!

This has been going on since summer 2018. "

Give it a try if you are in the UK, the three forums are as I said complement they do not compete.
Old 7th Jan 2020, 1:06 am   #15
Red to black
Nonode

Yes Frank, I do concur
Old 7th Jan 2020, 2:46 am   #16
Terry_VK5TM
Nonode

Quote:
Brilliant, that's exactly the one. I still can't find any reference to it on Google, no matter what I search for! I wonder why? Always used to be there

Many thanks
Nick
Google's "intelligent" search algorithms analyse your searches over a period of time and cherry picks what it thinks you want to see.

You can test this by using a different search engine that is not piped through Google to see the difference.
Old 7th Jan 2020, 4:49 am   #17
Maarten
Dekatron

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayceebee View Post
Now that's interesting! I did wonder if it was due to some change that Google had made and it seems that it is.

If I need to go to the Vrat site, I always just type 'Vrat' into Google and it's the second in the list. Now there is no mention of it at all!
Unfortunately, I can't read the linked information. I succeeded exactly once tonight in visiting his site, after clearing cookies but that won't work now either. It seems to redirect to google.com. It might be misconfigured in one way or the other, I'll try to find out what, how and why. Possibly related to gdpr conscent? If Google crawlers get accidentaly redirected as well, it would make sense the site is dropped from the index.

EDIT: radios-tv.co.uk seems to serve me a 302 temporary redirect to google.com. I seem to remember that 302 redirects are deadly for SEO, so if the Google crawler is served that too, especially if it points to google itself, this would sufficiently explain the trouble.

Last edited by Maarten; 7th Jan 2020 at 5:02 am.
Old 7th Jan 2020, 9:33 am   #18
Mr Hoover
Hexode

I get exactly the same redirection to Google from the vrat site and I'm in Portugal.
Old 7th Jan 2020, 9:42 am   #19
bluepilot
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry_VK5TM View Post
Google's "intelligent" search algorithms analyse your searches over a period of time and cherry picks what it thinks you want to see.
It's known as living in a filter bubble. I prefer to use Duckduckgo which gives you what you asked for instead of what it thinks you ought to want.
duckduckgo
I typed "vrat forum" into Duckduckgo and the first three links were all Vrat. Of course if Vrat itself won't let you in that won't help. You could try using the TOR browser which will make you appear to come from somewhere else.

The golden age is always yesterday - Asa Briggs
Old 7th Jan 2020, 9:59 am   #20
Dave Moll
Dekatron

By the way, the VRAT link from the BVWS site says "server not found".