UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Jan 2020, 11:28 am   #1
Keith
Heptode

Default Irish Free State Philips -BIF513A

I wonder if anyone can help me with circuit information on this radio? It was a gift from my daughter's partner who lives in Dublin. It is electically similar to the 514 for which I have the manufacturer's manual, but differs in the complex feedback type tone control arrangement (typical Philips!). Having replaced the electrolytics which refused to reform, it is now working quite well but the tone control only cuts treble at the very end of its travel and the bass boost switch is not very effective (although the sound quality from the two, series connected 8" speakers is otherwise excellent). Any help appreciated.
Old 17th Jan 2020, 11:13 am   #2
Keith
Heptode

Default Re: Irish Free State Philips -BIF513A

Hmm - looks like this one's drawn a blank. Anyway the good news is that the tone control problem turned out to be caused by a dirty pot. A good squirt of Deoxit solved the problem (I must get another can if I come up on the lottery!).
Most of the black capacitors are leaky so I shall be replacing the critical ones. Does anyone know the meaning of the Philips codes on these?

L12KA 7.7 (measures 25nF)
1KP 0.1 (measures 2.5nF)
33KP

Assuming K=1000pF, I guess the high measured values are due to leakage confusing the meter.
Old 17th Jan 2020, 12:15 pm   #3
paulsherwin

In most cases the Irish models weren't closely related to models made in other markets. Philips seem to have allowed their various subsidiaries a lot of autonomy in the 50s. That may be why you haven't been flooded with offers of help.

You are right, you can't meaningfully test old waxed paper caps, and the old Philips 'black pitch' caps are pretty notorious, so it's probably best to whip them out. There is usually a value somewhere, and even if there isn't you can get a good idea of the value from the physical size and circuit function. The values of the couplers and decouplers aren't very critical, and it's only the tone control components that need to be spot on.
Old 18th Jan 2020, 6:35 pm   #4
Keith
Heptode

Thanks for replying, Paul. I'm fairly happy with the set now, having replaced some of the capacitors. It doesn't look much, but it's one of the best sounding AM sets I've heard, now that the tone controls are working correctly. Probably something to do with the two 8" speakers, albeit only driven by a single EL41.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Philips BIF513A front.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	197350   Click image for larger version

Name:	Philips BIF513A rear.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	197351  
Closed Thread