UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Aug 2022, 8:54 pm   #21
stevehertz
Dekatron

Default Re: HMV TV set owned by Gordon Bussey

I believe he had a partner, not sure if he was married or if he had children. It's all part of the problem, if I knew that it would perhaps provide a link to finding out more.
Old 1st Aug 2022, 9:52 pm   #22
Peter88gate
Tetrode

Default Re: Gordon Bussey's TV collection.

I have no knowledge of the disposal of Gordon Bussey's TV collection when he died, but putting on my genealogical hat I have come up with some information which may help.

He was born Gordon Reginald Bussey in the Mar quarter of 1936 in Finsbury registration district London. He appears not to have married. He died 20 Jan 2011 in Chipping Norton, Oxfordshire aged 75 of Cancer. He left a Will which was probated 12 Jul 2011.

If you go to the Government Probate Registry web site https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/#wills you can purchase a copy of his Will for £1.50 which may (or may not) help with his wishes with regard to the disposal of his TV collection.

Peter
Old 1st Aug 2022, 10:09 pm   #23
peter_scott
Dekatron

There is a Marconiphone version of the HMV 903 in existence and in full working order. https://youtu.be/TVQutdYBsgM

See also: http://www.nostalgiatech.co.uk/new_page_32.htm

Peter
Old 3rd Aug 2022, 1:45 pm   #24
electronicskip
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter88gate View Post
I have no knowledge of the disposal of Gordon Bussey's TV collection when he died, but putting on my genealogical hat I have come up with some information which may help.

He was born Gordon Reginald Bussey in the Mar quarter of 1936 in Finsbury registration district London. He appears not to have married. He died 20 Jan 2011 in Chipping Norton, Oxfordshire aged 75 of Cancer. He left a Will which was probated 12 Jul 2011.

If you go to the Government Probate Registry web site https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/#wills you can purchase a copy of his Will for £1.50 which may (or may not) help with his wishes with regard to the disposal of his TV collection.

Peter
I can make a few enquiries for you.
I lived in Chipping Norton for 20 years and still visit and have friends and relations still living there.
There is a good chance that at least one of them may have some information about him.
Old 12th Aug 2022, 9:22 am   #25
beery
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehertz View Post
Also, for historic record purposes, a fellow member has expressed a desire to know the whereabouts of a particular set that Gordon purchased from me, a pre war HMV set as seen in the photo below
Hi Steve,
The HMV 903 is now in the hands of an acquaintance of mine, I also know who he bought it from and that it didn't come directly from Gordon Bussey.
It is being restored to working order very sympathetically (with component re-stuffing).
If you like I can make contact with the owner and ask him about it and if it now works. He is not the sort of person to advertise his collection, so I couldn't say about visits without enquiring, but I can probably get some photos of it.
You can be sure though that the set is in safe hands.

Cheers
Andy Beer

P.S. In the late 1990's I had some dealings with Gordon Bussey with his Philips hat on, when I discovered a 16mm print of an English narrated version of a Philips publicity film from the 50's. It was unknown to Philips at the time and I sent them a VHS transfer of it (video camera pointed at the wall!).
Old 12th Aug 2022, 2:46 pm   #26
stevehertz
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by beery View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehertz View Post
Also, for historic record purposes, a fellow member has expressed a desire to know the whereabouts of a particular set that Gordon purchased from me, a pre war HMV set as seen in the photo below
Hi Steve,
The HMV 903 is now in the hands of an acquaintance of mine, I also know who he bought it from and that it didn't come directly from Gordon Bussey.
It is being restored to working order very sympathetically (with component re-stuffing).
If you like I can make contact with the owner and ask him about it and if it now works. He is not the sort of person to advertise his collection, so I couldn't say about visits without enquiring, but I can probably get some photos of it.
You can be sure though that the set is in safe hands.

Cheers
Andy Beer

P.S. In the late 1990's I had some dealings with Gordon Bussey with his Philips hat on, when I discovered a 16mm print of an English narrated version of a Philips publicity film from the 50's. It was unknown to Philips at the time and I sent them a VHS transfer of it (video camera pointed at the wall!).
Thanks Andy for that info, it's actually Murphymad who is looking for the info as I believe he is trying to 'catalogue' the serial numbers of pre war TV sets and their whereabouts, something like that. I'll let him know.
Old 12th Aug 2022, 3:26 pm   #27
beery
Heptode

Hi Steve,
Cataloguing Pre-War TV serial numbers is not only of historical interest but could also be useful in the event of theft.
I've been trying to find the history of my HMV 900 and I know the two people who owned it before me and that before that it belonged to Michael Bennett Levy for a short time. Beyond that though the trail goes cold and of course MBL is no longer with us, so I doubt I'll find any more about its past.

Cheers
Andy
Old 12th Aug 2022, 4:23 pm   #28
peter_scott
Dekatron

Is it the guy with the Marconi 704 that has the 903?

Peter
Old 12th Aug 2022, 5:42 pm   #29
stevehertz
Dekatron

Quote:
Hi Steve,
Cataloguing Pre-War TV serial numbers is not only of historical interest but could also be useful in the event of theft.
I've been trying to find the history of my HMV 900 and I know the two people who owned it before me and that before that it belonged to Michael Bennett Levy for a short time. Beyond that though the trail goes cold and of course MBL is no longer with us, so I doubt I'll find any more about its past.

Cheers
Andy
MBL went through a high buying spree in around '91 when he bought a few sets off me as I was having to sell my considerable collection (28 sets) to fund a divorce. Other than a post war Decca projection set in a beautiful walnut cabinet I can't recall what he bought. I must admit I wasn't keen on his rather aggressive approach at the time.
Old 17th Aug 2022, 5:39 pm   #30
beery
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_scott View Post
Is it the guy with the Marconi 704 that has the 903?

Peter
Hi Peter,
no, they have different owners.

Cheers
Andy
Old 17th Aug 2022, 8:53 pm   #31
peter_scott
Dekatron

Quote:
Hi Steve,
Cheers
Andy
One of the nice things about the veneered cabinets is that they are effectively "fingerprints".

Peter
Closed Thread