UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Jan 2013, 11:05 pm   #21
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Default Re: McMichael/Sobell MP14/TPS147 14" Transportable. 1957

With the chassis operating reasonably well I decided to have a go at cleaning the Rexine covered case. I still have some packets of the old Flash crystals and mixing a heaped teaspoonful in a small amount of hot water and with the aid of a nailbrush, it was scrub up time.

It took half a dozen separate attempts, rinsing down between takes. The armour toughened glass implosion screen and mask are secured to the front of the case with three clamps and rubber cushions. The assembly was soon removed for cleaning and put aside for later refitting.

With the case clean and dry I stuck down some odd ends of Rexine on the inside that had come adrift with Bostick and refitted the mask and glass. The case was finished with a spray of aerosol furniture polish and a good buffing up. The results are excellent and the finish must be very close to what it was in 1957.

The chassis was slid back into place and with a block of wood under the case supporting the tube it was possible to refit the two top machine screws positioned under the handle. Once these were secured it was easy to line up all the fixings and complete the bolt up.

The control knobs are a very weak area with these receivers. The Cyldon tuner has a very tight spring and roller and it takes quite a bit of effort to change the channels.
Both the channel selector, on/off and volume control knobs are constructed from brittle plastic and required back packing with Araldite to prevent total breakage. They seem to be holding up well.

With a final bench test it was time to box up this bundle of fun and put it on the catwalk for it's final pictures. I just have the card back to repair. It will need a section cut in.
Not difficult but a fiddle to make it neat and safe.

One picture shows the test card with just the bench light as background.It is a nice blue/black colour, the type of picture liked by the general public. The second shows it with full 200w + of workshop lighting.

The MP14 has run for many hours with complete stability. Another receiver that must have given it's original owner complete satisfaction.

NB. Sorry if I've made this look easy! It tends to become second nature after 50 years plus.

I repaired my first television receiver with the help of our old friend Les Lawry-Johns way back in 1960 at the age of 12.
I won't bore you with the rest.
If you really want to learn the basics of 405 line television servicing I would recommend the following, all available at very low prices.
It helps if you have a 'feel' for it but only you will know that.

'Practical television' 1955-60. F.J. Camm.
'Television Receiver Servicing' Volumes one and two, various reprints. Spreadbury.
'Television Receiving Equipment. Various reprints from 1941. Cocking.
'Radio and Television Engineers Reference Book' Hawker/Pannett. Newnes.
Get all the valve data books you can lay your hands on and look up the spec on the valves in the particular receiver you are tackling.
They make interesting reading! You will start with three books and in no time have fifty. They will keep you off the streets..
Take your own pictures.
Make notes.
Log symptoms and remedies.
Learn the various sections of a receiver. You would not change the gearbox in a car if the engine failed to start.
Above all have fun! I have for the past 52 years and continue to do so.

Regards, John.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Test card 1.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	74578   Click image for larger version

Name:	Test card 2.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	74579  
Old 3rd Jan 2013, 8:50 pm   #22
line sync
Heptode

Another great restoration john.
I bourght one of these McMichael portables in the early 1980,s from a furniture auction for somthink silly like 50p.
I remember it did show a raster but not a picture .
I kept it for 5 years or so and then passed it on to another local collector.
I wonder what became of it .
You,ll need a bigger museum to put all these restored tv,s in soon john .

Robin
Old 4th Jan 2013, 11:33 am   #23
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by line sync View Post
You'll need a bigger museum to put all these restored TV's in soon John.
I know but my only neighbour next door refuses to sell up..

Thanks for your comments Robin. It's amazing how well these old receivers clean up.
Many years ago I received for repair the slightly later 17" Sobell transportable, the TPS173. It had the classic Rexine red/white finish and was generally grubby all round.
I always attempted, when repairing customers receivers to return them in as 'new' condition as possible both electrically and cosmetically.

With the repair completed and the screen cleaned I gave the case the usual scrub up with Flash. It looked great and with a final polish it was delivered to the customer. I carried it in and placed in on the kitchen table. 'That's not my telly' said the lady of the house. I explained that I had cleaned it and assured her it was indeed her receiver. 'It can't be, I've tried cleaning that case for years without success'.

I eventually convinced her by explaining that I had tins of 'special telly cleaner' that released the grime electronically..Terrible I know but she completely accepted my explanation and willingly settled my invoice.

No Lady of the House likes to have her cleaning abilities questioned so great care has to be taken with your answers.

I was quite young at the time unfortunately looking ten years younger than I actually was. It didn't help back then. I still remember the address. John.
Old 4th Jan 2013, 12:36 pm   #24
audiomagpie
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatercathodeshort View Post
I was quite young at the time unfortunately looking ten years younger than I actually was.
This is a problem that many of us have had to live with, and indeed still do!

Great results all round with the set though.

Greg

BVWS committee chairman
Old 4th Jan 2013, 7:53 pm   #25
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

When I turn up at a haulage yard to take some filthy tipper lorry out for the day, I still get the transport manager call me 'Lad'. I am 64....It's what keeps me goin! When they called me 'Boy' at 21 I used to get upset. I forgive them. J.
Closed Thread