UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Oct 2007, 7:34 pm   #1
gw3xjc
Retired Dormant Member

Default AR88 Muting

Hi Gang. I am just about to get back on to 80m Am mode with an old Codar AT5 and an AR88d receiver. I used a similar combination back in the late 60's albeit with a DX100 as a transmitter. I recall I used to mute the AR88 with a pot which I brought out of the back of the AR88. I could vary the degree of mute by adjusting this pot. However years have gone by and I be dammed if i can remember how I did it. I do know it was a common modification as we all seemed to be using that rx at the time. I have a feeling a lifted the earthly end of the series resistor with the RF control and put a pot in series with it. The transmit relay would short the pot out on normal receiver and bring it back into being on transmit,

Or did I feed some negitive back up the AGC line on transmit.
Any of you guys remember doing this or something similar.
73's Rog
Gw3XJC
Old 23rd Oct 2007, 8:40 pm   #2
RobinBirch
Hexode

Default Re: AR88 Muting

Curious,
Looking through my 88 manual, the "official" method was to control the transmitter from the receiver with a transmitter relay attached to the back.

The down side to this I guess was that the rotary switch would be continually making and breaking the HT and so might start arcing and so on. Some form of relay that gave the same effect from a transmit/receive switch would give the same effect.

As to a pot, maybe you drove the gain down but I'm not sure that this would be enough and tying the transmitter relay, the antenna relay and the receiver HT might be better if a more reliable method than the rotary switch could be found.

Robin
Old 23rd Oct 2007, 8:47 pm   #3
Station X

The RAF version of the AR88 (R1156A) had an "official" modification to mute the receiver.

A two pin socket was wired in series with the earthy end of R55. Normally this socket had a shorting plug in it. The shorting plug could be removed and a plug forming part of "Control Unit Type 88" inserted in to the socket.

I've never managed to find a circuit for the Control Unit Type 88, but I suspect that on receive it shorted the plug and on transmit left it open circuit. That's certainly how I mute my AR88.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 23rd Oct 2007, 9:18 pm   #4
gw3xjc
Retired Dormant Member

Yes thanks both. Yes I remember that the tx/rx switch was on the receiver but I think you will find not many amateurs used that as (again from memory 40 yrs now) that switch removed the HT off the receiver rendering dead.
On CW morse we used to monitor our outgoing signal we could then monitor any chirp or drift. Graham I think you are correct with the earthy end of r55. By switching a pot or being more precise a variable resistor in series with it it is going to reduce the gain. I used to use an old PO 3000 relay to switch the mute into circuit, change the aerial from tx to rx and also switch the ht on and off the old DX100u. They would good old days for sure, learnt many, many things in those days, I was in my mid teens. At the age of 55 the AR88 seems to be heavier??

73 Rog GW3XJC
Old 23rd Oct 2007, 10:15 pm   #5
jim_beacon
Retired Dormant Member

A good method would be to ground the screen of the RF stage - this would effectivly mute the RX, but you may have to change the screen resistor, so that it will handle the extra current. This has the advantage of fast operation, and it leaves the RX on, so there is no frequency drift. It also prvents overload of the RF and mixer stage during transmit, which may lead to blocking.

I believe some other manufacturers (Hallicrafters?) use this method of TX/RX switching.

Jim.
Old 24th Oct 2007, 6:27 am   #6
gw3xjc
Retired Dormant Member

Yes good idea Jim, i will still need to make the mute "variable".
I went to take the AR88 out of it's case last night. i had forgotten how heavy it was. I used to carry one of them upstairs on my own in my younger days, are well i decided to pour myself a large Scotch instead.

73's rog
GW3XJC
Old 24th Oct 2007, 12:56 pm   #7
Herald1360
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by gw3xjc View Post
I used to carry one of them upstairs on my own in my younger days, are well i decided to pour myself a large Scotch instead.
Slightly off topic.... I once single handedly got a B40 up into the loft at my digs where the landlord let a couple of us set up a shack. Wouldn't care to repeat the experience (same age as GW3XJC).

Chris
Old 24th Oct 2007, 6:20 pm   #8
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Arrow Re: AR88 Muting

Have a look the circuit of some of the classic Eddystone receivers - 888A, EA12 for example. In these sets the required result is achieved by putting a large +ve bias on the cathode of the RF and / or IF amp. when the set is switched to 'Stand-by'. A pre-set pot. is fitted to enable the 'Mute Threshold' to be adjusted when in 'Stand-by'. (This pre-set is commonly labelled 'Stand-by Sensitivity')

In my experience, this scheme works well, especially for monitoring one's own transmissions.

Al / Skywave.
Old 25th Oct 2007, 9:30 pm   #9
RobinBirch
Hexode

That sounds good as I have an AR88 in store that I have had for ages and I dearly love. I intend setting up a rig at my new address and I have always wanted a QRP transmitter and either an 88 or an RA17 as the receiver.

I'll look at adding what you suggest to the AR88.

Cheers

Robin
Old 1st Nov 2007, 8:43 pm   #10
gw3xjc
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Guys been away for a while, back now though. Thanks for all your suggestions. mY next project over the winter is to restore an old KW Vanguard, anyone remember them??

73 Roger Gw3xjc
Old 1st Nov 2007, 8:54 pm   #11
Station X

If you want to discuss KW Vanguards please start another thread.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Closed Thread