UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Jan 2022, 9:50 pm   #1
lightning
Heptode

Default Short wave DX'ing

l've recently acquired two short wave radios, l remember in the 1990's l had a Philips communications receiver and the shortwave bands were full of activity.

I've tried this week and the wavebands seem
empty.

l thought it was because l was using a small
portable set but even on the Racal there's not much to hear.

l found what sounded like a couple of amateur radio stations on SSB and a few
beeping noises like Morse.

Has SW gone that quiet? l couldn't find any actual radio stations at all. Maybe it's RFI that's killing it?

There's plenty of activity still on MW even on a pocket radio at night, maybe SW is better away from houses and their digital devices.
Old 24th Jan 2022, 9:59 pm   #2
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Default Re: Short wave DX'ing

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightning View Post
l couldn't find any actual radio stations at all. Maybe it's RFI that's killing it?

There's plenty of activity still on MW even on a pocket radio at night, maybe SW is better away from houses and their digital devices.
You may well have answered your own question. I live in the country but have an S8 noise level across much of the SW spectrum. Check out "magnetic loop" aerials, one of the best known being a commercial product by Wellbrook and then there is the DIY copy called Wellgood - discussed at length on this forum.

B
Old 24th Jan 2022, 10:19 pm   #3
Jolly 7
Octode

There are some shortwave stations audible right now if you tune in to the 31 m and 49 m bands. e.g. two stations on 9600 kHz and 5900 kHz are broadcasting in English.

Last edited by Jolly 7; 24th Jan 2022 at 10:20 pm. Reason: Typos
Old 24th Jan 2022, 10:26 pm   #4
paulsherwin

SW broadcasting is much quieter than it used to be. Most European broadcasters have ended their SW services, at least to Europe. Arguably it creates the opportunity to listen for genuine long distsnce transmissions now that the local blasters have closed.
Old 24th Jan 2022, 10:28 pm   #5

There is radio China, get it everywhere, some of the programmes are quite entertaining in a weird way. Here https://www.short-wave.info/ quite up to date.

Old 24th Jan 2022, 10:47 pm   #6
lightning
Heptode

Well, that sounds more promising.

l will get one of the aerials recommended above, does it have to be installed on the roof?
Old 24th Jan 2022, 11:26 pm   #7
Jolly 7
Octode

A simple and inexpensive longwire antenna is maybe all you need. Depending upon your radios, the longwire can either be crocodile clipped to the telescopic antenna or connected to an aerial socket via a suitable plug. The wire can be retracted when not listening to shortwave. It is easy to make one too.
Old 24th Jan 2022, 11:36 pm   #8
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Arrow Re: Short wave DX'ing

Yes, a longwire: as high and as long as you can get it. Try to get its downlead away from buildings as best you can and the fitment of an earth plate buried in the ground with a wire from it to the 'E' or metalwork of the radio sometimes really helps reception.

Al.
Old 24th Jan 2022, 11:48 pm   #9
Cruisin Marine
Octode

I had to build a phase cancellation unit to kill all the local QRM, and now the noise is no more than s1 and SW listening is once again enjoyable. Of course you can buy them ready made like MFJ etc.

SW listening is at times quite fascinating as is MW Dxing. Patience is a true virtue though.
Old 25th Jan 2022, 12:50 pm   #10
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinmaxwell View Post
There is radio China, get it everywhere, some of the programmes are quite entertaining in a weird way. Here https://www.short-wave.info/ quite up to date.
IIRC, you are using a Wellbrook magloop I think? I believe they sold at something like £350 originally and I've never heard anyone say they were disappointed with them. Now that the circuit of the (potted) amplifier has been revealed, it's possible to build one (two transistors) for less than £20, depending on what your junk box has to offer, and the PCB is available from George Smart at Wellgood.

An internet search will pull in may other designs for magloops. They can be used closed to the ground (David(4EBT) has his magloop mounted on the back of his garden shed), and it you stick a rotator on, are directional. Moreover, their great advantage is that they are relatively immune to digital RFI.

B
Old 25th Jan 2022, 1:46 pm   #11
Radio Wrangler

They're still directional even without a rotator, but a rotator allows you to change the direction ( Sorry, Bazz) The real value of a loop lies in planting the null on the worst interferer rather than peaking the signal. The peaks are rather blunt, while the nulls are shapr and deep. The limitation is that they work best if you only have one direction of interference (well two at 180 degrees)

Receive loops. particularly if low mounted, are within the scope of those cheapie low-duty rotators intended for FM antennae.

David
Old 25th Jan 2022, 2:48 pm   #12
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
Receive loops. particularly if low mounted, are within the scope of those cheapie low-duty rotators intended for FM antennae.
David
I believe that someone on the forum was tinkering with using a radio-model servo mechanism as a cheaper than cheap rotator. I think he suspended the loop on a wire and the servo carried no weight, but simply rotated the loop. He may have had it located in his roof-space.

B
Old 25th Jan 2022, 3:08 pm   #13
ex seismic
Heptode

Look also at the Mini Whip, originally done by a Dutch chappie. Two transistors again so simple to make.

gmb
Old 25th Jan 2022, 3:59 pm   #14

Quote:
I believe that someone on the forum was tinkering with using a radio-model servo mechanism as a cheaper than cheap rotator.
That's me, I still owe you all a photo of the insides, I the main reason for using an RC servo is speed, easy to get notch using my on screen control. The whole thing is held up from the bottom, no strings attached.

Old 25th Jan 2022, 7:13 pm   #15
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

The SW broadcast-bands are indeed a lot quieter than in times-past: the late-80s/earlly-90s collapse of the Communist regimes in central/eastern Europe led to a big closedown of nsome of the louder and more-intrusive SW broadcasters like Tirana/Bucharest and the sprawling tentacles of Radio Moscow [which had 'Radio Rodinya' - apparently it meant ~homeland~ and was aimed at the Russian deep-ocean fishing-fleets].

This century most remaining Western 'nation-state' SW broadcasters have gone QRT - Radio Nederland's SW service from Hilversum shut down a decade ago.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_...dio_broadcasts

A few stalwarts continue: Chinese state-broadcasters are always doing their thing; I still listen to the Voice of America for a rounded version of world news, and there are a bunch of religious stations when you need some comedy. The 7.1-7.2MHz slice of the 41MHz broadcast-band in Europe has been reassigned to us radio-hams [so we no longer have to work in the gaps between multiple renditions of Radio Moscow/Radio Tirana!].

If you want some 'interesting' listening, tune from 6.1 to 6.4MHz on weekends; this is where the European free-radio types come up. Think of them as the SW equivalents of Caroline/Radio London which we remember from our childhood.
Old 25th Jan 2022, 9:34 pm   #16
ManxDave
Tetrode

I have been tinkering with a homeade, receive only, passive magloop this last couple of weeks. Basically the main loop is 1m diameter of 10mm copper pipe withe a variable capacitor across a break in it. With about a 25cm diameter pickup loop.I am very impressed with the results on SW.
As well as having to rotate it for best performance, the other difficulty is it needs tuning for each band, hence the capacitor. At the moment I am tuning it manually but hoping to use a stepper motor in future so I can mount the loop remote from the receiver. There are designs for this all over the net including sophisticated ones using arduino etc to remember capacitor positions for each band.
As well as automating the tuning I want to try and get it working down to MW, where it is currently useless and I may try an active design but not sure I need the amplification yet.
Old 25th Jan 2022, 11:24 pm   #17
Dave757
Heptode

Hi Dave,

I use a similar loop for both receiving and transmitting, also made from small
bore copper tube about 10 to 12mm, also with the coupling loop a quarter of
the main loop , but just slightly less diameter at around 95 cm. My loop will
tune with a capacitance a bit less than 20pf to the top of the 29 MHz band,
but takes nearly 1000pf to resonate it to 3.5MHz. It would take a great deal
of capacitance to tune it to MW, and would not be very efficient. Of course you
could easily try it by adding additional fixed capacitors across the variable.

I have made loops which work pretty well at MW (and lower), by using
4 pair telephone cable on a 1 metre square wood frame, - 6 of the wires connected
in series with the 2 ends connected to the tuning cap, and the other 2 wires in series
connected to the feeder as a coupling loop. Of course you could just use single strand
insulated wire wrapped around the frame.

Good luck with your project.

Kind regards
Dave G0ELJ
Old 25th Jan 2022, 11:43 pm   #18
ManxDave
Tetrode

Thanks Dave
I'll try adding much more capacitance as an experiment but it sounds like your multistrand frame is the way to go for MW. I use something similar for my pantry transmitter, removing harmonics from that will be another thread for the future.
Old 26th Jan 2022, 12:44 am   #19
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManxDave View Post
As well as having to rotate it for best performance, the other difficulty is it needs tuning for each band, hence the capacitor. At the moment I am tuning it manually .
I think I've seen at least one design where someone used varicap diodes to tune a loop. They sent the DC for the varicaps down a separate wire taped to the coax RF line.

B
Old 26th Jan 2022, 2:09 am   #20
majoconz
Heptode

Best SW long distance is achieved in the evening from your east and in the early morning darkness from the west and on the lower frequency bands. I get some remarkable signals here in our winter on the 49 and 41 metre bands - and on the 'Gray Line' where it's sunrise in Europe and late afternoon here - huge signals from Romania then Greece and lastly Spain's International service - their transmitter if just a bit west of Madrid - which is just about my 'antipode'.