UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Dec 2019, 11:19 pm   #1
needmoreinfo
Retired Dormant Member

Default Revox A77 - fast spinning and smell of burning

Hi,

It's my first post here for a question. My Revox A77 MK IV has been running fine until recently. It plays a 7" reel for a 2.5 reels and I could start smelling something burn from the box and it spins fast forwarding so fast. Only way to stop is to switch it off.

It happens three times, which last two only for testing to reproducing the problem. However, the last testing took only less than 2 reels.

What could be the problem that I should be start looking. I am not a professional but does repairing vintage audio gear for a hobby. So, my knowledge in the area is limit. Also, it is not easy to find a technician in my area (Australia). Thanks in advance for your advice.
Old 10th Dec 2019, 10:22 pm   #2
hallwod
Triode

Default Re: Revox A77 - fast spinning and smell of burning

Others more experienced will no doubt give their opinion but mine is that one or more of the 0.47uf capacitors on the Speed Control board and (more likely) the Tape Transport board have blown.

Don't power up again until you have replaced these along with the other capacitors on the Tape Drive, Capstan Speed and Power Supply.

Get hold of of the Service Manual from hifiengine
Closed Thread