UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Apr 2019, 12:40 am   #1
19Seventy7
Octode

Default PAL VCR/NTSC DVD combo?

Hi,

I have a VCR/DVD combo which I have temporarily, and I was trying to play a DVD to view on it as it doesn't need any adaptors which degrades the quality quite a bit. (used for games consoles) I also wanted to record something from DVD to VHS to make sure it's all working properly, (I know this wouldn't be used often, if at all) as I would like to get a VCR from the 70s or 80s.

The DVD player seems to be NTSC, (VCR is PAL) but I've only got a 70s set to view it on at the moment, which uses PAL. (I have a 5" black and white set, but of course without a colour system, it works fine)

Is there anyway to get the two to work together? If it comes to it, I'll have to resort to the degraded quality of a games console for viewing.

Thanks
Old 13th Apr 2019, 10:34 am   #2
julie_m
Dekatron

Default Re: PAL VCR/NTSC DVD combo?

DVDs are recorded as RGB or YUV component video (there's a direct lossless transform between the two in the digital domain). There is no colour encoding on the disc; any conversion to PAL or NTSC is done by the DVD player.

If it's a deregionalised DVD player (the region locking scheme originally mandated by the Hollywood studios has been ruled anti-competitive and illegal pretty much everywhere outside the USA) playing a Region 1 disc meant for the USA, it might be encoded as 480 lines (525 lines with the vertical flyback). On most TVs, this would be connected via RGB anyway. Colour encoding is only an issue when only a composite connection is available. The DVD player might have a menu option to select always PAL, always NTSC or "auto" -- PAL for 576/625 line material, NTSC for 480/525 lines.

Note that you may need a vertical blanking interval cleaning circuit when recording store-bought DVDs onto VHS, as the manufacturers may have built in measures to prevent you from copying it. Home recordings should be fine.
Old 13th Apr 2019, 10:01 pm   #3
19Seventy7
Octode

Default Re: PAL VCR/NTSC DVD combo?

Oh okay, that explains a lot, I've actually stopped using it anyway, as I took the pinch roller out of the combo to put into another one, which can plug straight in to the TV, which is a better VCR. I think I have a separate DVD player which could plug into the VCR which might work.

Thanks for your help
Closed Thread