UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Oct 2019, 5:15 pm   #1
dglcomp
Heptode

Default Belling cooker

Split from this thread: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=160667
Quote:
Originally Posted by steptoesyard View Post
I love those Belling Format cookers from the 1980`s, and I`ve had the control panels apart on a few of them over the years, bit fiddly but look so much better for a clean up. I actually own two of them, a 600X which was the very first ceramic from about 1982, in immaculate condition (I keep that one as a spare, as you do!..........), and a later 1980`s version which I spotted on Ebay - new old stock, so I grabbed it! That one is my daily driver, and is as close to brand new as I`ll ever see.

I`ve always had a bit of a fascination with Belling cookers, which I think stems from my grandparents buying one of the very first Belling fan ovens in the 1970`s, and it lasted right up until about 10 years ago and had to be scrapped only because I couldn't get a thermostat for it
They really are beautiful beasts aren't they, from the backlit front panel to the green VFD of the timer, to the nice clean lines and flush fit. Plus the fact that to get a similar modern cooker with the same level of features would still cost a lot and as such I hate to think how much they must have cost new. But my Grandad was defiantly a buy once cry once kind of guy.
I believe they were the first free standing cooker to be completely level with the work surface, so would look especially good in a brand new fitted kitchen (and given my grans kitchen (brought from Bradford's in Crewkerne) is from the 80's it fits in well).
Old 21st Oct 2019, 10:40 pm   #2
steptoesyard
No Longer a Member

Default Re: English Electric cooker

I`ve got the original bill (somewhere) for the earlier one that I`ve got, and if memory serves me right it was around £600 - in the early 80`s that was serious money......

But then, they were seriously well made too
Old 22nd Oct 2019, 7:07 am   #3
dglcomp
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by steptoesyard View Post
But then, they were seriously well made too
That's certinaly true, to think that if the ceramic top had not been damaged some years ago it would still be 100% original. Admittedly the VFD flickers a bit but as that is the only fault you can't complain.

Plus looking on the BoE website, assuming a 1982 purchase date you are looking at just over £2,000! in 2018 pounds, even going for 1987 it's still over £1,600.

Will have to get a picture of it later as I am going up there today.
Old 22nd Oct 2019, 8:43 am   #4
steptoesyard
No Longer a Member

Worth every penny! Be good to see a photo, I may even have a spare clock module if you need one
Old 22nd Oct 2019, 9:57 am   #5
dglcomp
Heptode

Here you go, not be cleaned properly in a while so excuse the dirt.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20191022_09_47_14_Raw.jpg
Views:	1135
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	192229   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20191022_09_47_21_Raw.jpg
Views:	421
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	192230   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20191022_09_47_48_Raw.jpg
Views:	787
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	192231   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20191022_09_47_56_Raw.jpg
Views:	413
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	192232   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20191022_09_48_27_Raw.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	192233  

Old 22nd Oct 2019, 6:16 pm   #6
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

Default Re: Belling cooker

I’m sure my parents used to have a similar oven to the one pictured above when I was little! I remember it had a control panel that was backlit, and by the flicker when you turned it on I guess it was lit by a fluorescent tube, the other notable feature was that the control knobs needed pushing in the middle to make the central part pop up, I used to have way too much fun with those! It also had a VFF clock, but I remember it glowing orange rather than green. That oven went on for many years, and was given to my Nan after we replaced it with a built in Candy oven in the mid 90’s, and my Nan had it up until quite recently!

I’ve still got the clock module from the Candy, but sadly it got dropped and knocked the pip off the back of the VFD display, and so far I’ve not found a replacement display

Regards
Lloyd
Old 22nd Oct 2019, 6:55 pm   #7
dglcomp
Heptode

Yes this one has a CCFL for the backlighting, shines downwards as well via a frosted glass window underneath the control panel.
As for the knobs, these in theory need pushing in to operate but some have probably got a bit gunged up over the years and so will turn without pushing in.
Another interesting thing is that it has a blower (I believe it's a long squirrel cage blower, similar to that used in a rectangular fan heater) to cool the control panel when the oven(s)/grill are being used, this stays on for a while after the oven(s)/grill have been turned off.

Also if anyone was wondering it's a Belling Format 600X, it would have been purchased ~1986 as it replaced a cooker that blew up on my mothers wedding day, but I cannot remember when that was.
Old 22nd Oct 2019, 7:48 pm   #8
steptoesyard
No Longer a Member

Nice pictures, that`s the one I have in the garage, only yours is a bit newer than mine. The one I bought from ebay is about 1988/89 ish, and they "facelifted" it a bit, and the clock is orange, but still the same beast behind the scenes
Old 22nd Oct 2019, 11:05 pm   #9
Richard_FM
Octode

My mum got a Trinity cooker like this in 1985. It seemed space age compared to the old one, with it's fan oven, halogen hob & digital timer.

In spite of all the abuse my Mum could throw at it, it lasted for many years, but eventually some of the control buttons stopped working & some other problems meant it was replaced.