UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Jul 2021, 5:14 pm   #1
Northyorks1
Heptode

Default Grundig C5000 faulty cassette player

Have recently got the above radio cassete player. The cassette is chewing up the tapes, it seems that one of the wheels is not turning, it will turn if you operate fast forward without a tape inserted. Could it be a belt or gear problem, I dont have any experience of cassette players, so just guessing. Any advice much appreciated.

Ian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C5000.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	238069  
Old 23rd Jul 2021, 11:38 am   #2
Northyorks1
Heptode

Default Re: Grundig C5000 faulty cassette player

It looks more than likely that it is a gear, upon opening the case there were small pieces of orange plastic, which from what I have read matches the colour of a small gear that is under the spool that is not turning.

Ian
Old 26th Jul 2021, 9:54 pm   #3
nigelr2000
Heptode

I have seen this before the gear was clear plastic originally but degrades and the teeth fall off, same as Philips decks of this period and some CD player drawer drive cogs. Maybe all made by one manufacturer. I did manage to buy 3D printed cogs for a Panasonic twin cassette deck with similar problems last year from a guy in Lithuania via a well known auction site but have never seen Grundig or Philips ones........yet
Old 27th Jul 2021, 11:16 am   #4
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Ian, there are several eBay sellers selling 3D gears for various Grundigs, similar models are listed but cannot easily see the C5000.

Here is one example (that I have no connection to).

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254825207352

David
Old 27th Jul 2021, 5:13 pm   #5
Northyorks1
Heptode

Thanks for replys and links. There is also a Polish seller doing some, but I am not sure which gear is needed till I dig a bit deeper and see how cassette dismantles.

Thanks Ian
Closed Thread