UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Jul 2021, 10:43 pm   #1
Deltatango
Triode

Default Boonton 102F Signal Generator Query

Just to get some information on a part please:-

There is connector between and through two aluminium housings with a link through it, in its manual this is listed as an AMP product 60789-2 (J1701 location), this connector is made through a threaded tube to screen it, with solder points at each end and both look to be mounted on ceramic insulators. One end is a hex screw on cap its other secured with a nut on that threaded tube

Its design looks a bit like a feedthrough type device with maybe 100pf and carries clock pulses to another board.

Just need confirmation of what it is, because the pin and socket inside has a poor connection, if I could confirm its identity that may help me decide on a cure for it.

Thanks for any help David
Old 14th Jul 2021, 10:59 pm   #2
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: Boonton 102F Signal Generator Query

I don't know that one, but HP and Boonton had a close relationship for many years. It may be something I've seen in HP stuff.

Photos would help.

It's a nice-looking synthesised sig gen with early 1980s sort of styling.

What signal is the connector carrying? Clock pulses doesn't tie things down much.

David
Old 18th Jul 2021, 5:19 pm   #3
Deltatango
Triode

I think it may be a homebrew item but can now include some pictures to give an idea of it, seems to have capacitance at each end to ensure the clock pulse is clean to pass on to its next module.

Hope it helps to identify the part.

Many thanks from David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SSA51358.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	237909   Click image for larger version

Name:	SSA51360.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	237910   Click image for larger version

Name:	SSA51361.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	237911   Click image for larger version

Name:	SSA51362.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	237912  
Old 21st Jul 2021, 7:13 am   #4
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

Pics 2, 3 & 4 look like they were took from outer space : ) Isn't it just some sort of connector similar to an SMA? Could it be the capacitance your seeing is part of the fault? The one pictured below looks similar, bigger than an SMA, smaller than BNC. But basically a metal threaded tube with straight wire insert in a low dialetric plastic.

Could connecting the modules with a straight wire or a 100p cap as a test should give some idea of the craic?

Andy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00295.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	162.2 KB
ID:	238030   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00296.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	162.4 KB
ID:	238031  

Last edited by Diabolical Artificer; 21st Jul 2021 at 7:21 am.
Old 25th Jul 2021, 3:04 pm   #5
factory
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
I don't know that one, but HP and Boonton had a close relationship for many years. It may be something I've seen in HP stuff.

Photos would help.

It's a nice-looking synthesised sig gen with early 1980s sort of styling.

What signal is the connector carrying? Clock pulses doesn't tie things down much.

David
It was made by Boonton Electronics, not the Boonton Radio Corp. that HP acquired.
Boonton Electronics (now called Boonton) formed in 1947 and are now part of the Wireless Telecom Group, Inc. https://www.boonton.com/about/corporate-profile

Booton Radio Corp date back to 1934; http://hparchive.com/boonton
I have a transistor tester from another Boonton based instrumentation company, Measurements Corp, there are a few others in this old article; http://hparchive.com/wp-content/uplo...ey-Article.pdf

David
Closed Thread