UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Jul 2021, 9:38 am   #1
GrimJosef
Dekatron

Default What device is inside a TO-3 can marked APS100 ?

I've come across a small number of reclaimed TO-3 devices and have managed to identify all but one of them. I wonder if anyone knows what it is ?

I only have access to a relatively poor quality camera at the moment, so apologies for the image quality, but the attached pics should show that the can style is what I'd call 'traditional', which is to say the cover is a plain top-hat shape with the attachment seam to the mounting plate clearly visible. The text is equally plain, reading, in three centred rows, SM APS100 3281.

A simple diode test, using a DMM, suggests this might be an NPN junction transistor, with no conductivity from collector to emitter, a little over 0.4V (forward drop) across the base-collector junction and 0.5V or so across base-emitter.

I wonder if it might be an in-house branded TV line output transistor ? The collection does include an R2010 and an R2540.

Cheers,

GJ
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	APS100 front small.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	237286   Click image for larger version

Name:	APS100 side small.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	237287  
Old 8th Jul 2021, 10:15 am   #2
Restoration73
Nonode

Default Re: What device is inside a TO-3 can marked APS100 ?

Both thyristors and triacs were made in TO-3 cases and once you have identified anode
cathode and gate (or MT1, MT2, gate) the test is to use an Avo on low ohms range
across anode and cathode - should show o/c. When gate is made positive i.e. touch on
black Avo lead, the resistance will drop say, 10 to 50 ohms.
Old 8th Jul 2021, 10:56 am   #3
GrimJosef
Dekatron

Regulators and FETs were made in TO-3 cases too. Among the devices I have are an MC7905CK, a UA78H12SC, an LAS1524 and an IRF150CE. So the can I have could contain almost anything, I suspect. I was hoping I might find someone who'd recognise the number. If I knew what it was equivalent to then that would let me hunt for a datasheet.

Cheers,

GJ
Old 8th Jul 2021, 6:25 pm   #4
kalee20
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimJosef View Post
Regulators and FETs were made in TO-3 cases too. ... So the can I have could contain almost anything, I suspect.
And even double-diodes for full-wave rectification with a centre-tapped transformer secondary.

Checking with an Avo, you might think at first you had a bipolar transistor (with the rather unusual connection of base to can), but you'd find it had absolutely zero gain.
Closed Thread