UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Jun 2021, 10:56 am   #1
HECTOR63
Banned

Default Going Mobile with Amateur Radio

Im just setup for the Foundation Course as of today and if all goes well etc I would be looking to go mobile as not practical to practice from home due to Aerial sightings etc.Im guessing Handheld is or maybe the most obvious choice,but fitting mobile considerations for Mag mount or bodymount aerial as compact as possible for External mounting.Im assuming there are no glass mount options so with a coax that would need to enter into the car does this mean drilling Grommeting and sealing as just posted through to of a side window with slight gap as not to impact the coax insulation etc when wound up any suggestions or experiences?I have an Astra SRi150 on a 56 Plate Reg.
Old 6th Jun 2021, 11:26 am   #2
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Default Re: Going Mobile with Amatuer Radio

Try not to get too vehicle specific Hector, as that sphere is considered off topic for this forum, I realise that in this case you are only stating the model in case there is some specific trick or gotcha regarding mounting aerials on that one.

It seems to me the quickest and least destructive approach for you would be to use a magmounted aerial - the rubber door seals are normally soft enough to allow you to just run the coax from the magmount across the roof to the nearest rear door or tailgate and in that way - you can close the door on the coax and the door rubbers will usually just snuggle around it and not put too much pressure on it. I've used that arrangement for my last three vehicles at least.

Conventional wisdom says that for best results you should have a mount fitted through-hole on the bodywork but not everyone wants to do that.
Old 6th Jun 2021, 11:33 am   #3
HECTOR63
Banned

Many thanks for the advise on the door rubbers,yes thats a good start at least and point noted on Car Make and model etc.My apologies for the oversight and if Mods wish to edit that part out if necessary to maintain thread thats fine by me if possible.
Old 6th Jun 2021, 11:37 am   #4
HECTOR63
Banned

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgDOjLMJxvE

I also found this in passing,but its American yet there does appear to be some glass mounts or window glass mount kits in the UK with a lip style fitting but sure about there worthy ness,although at least the Video uploaded took the trouble to do a swr test etc.
Old 6th Jun 2021, 12:27 pm   #5
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Default Re: Going Mobile with Amateur Radio

I think glass mounted aerials have always been a compromise and instinct tells me that they probably work better at very high frequencies (mobile phone frequencies) than at 2m or 70cms.

Speaking personally, I prefer to know that my signal is being carried by metal all the way through from the transmitter output to the tip of the aerial, but maybe that's just me.

I don't know if your specific model has roof rails intended for the mounting of roof bars - estate versions often do, hatchbacks usually don't. If you have roof bars or roof rails fitted then you can fit a more permanent mount in the form of a clamp-mount mounted on a rail or roof bar, but you still have the problem of how to get the cable from outside to inside. The ground side of the mount, the rail or bar and the bodywork should all be properly electrically connected together.
Old 6th Jun 2021, 12:55 pm   #6
Radio Wrangler

On one car I had a sandpiper dual band antenna on a drilled mounting. I took out the driver's side sunvisor swivel mount to leave a hole in the headlining through which I mounted the inside part of the antenna mount. Being a fully paid up sneaky so-and-so, I drilled the roof from the inside outwards. This got the location dead on, and if the drill slipped, there could be no damage to the outside paint. Antenna fitted, sunvisor swivel screwed back in... neat job! When I sold the car, I put the little cellphone antenna I'd bought at the same time on it and no one batted an eyelid at it.

The benefit of being on the driver's side was that I could wind the window down and reach out to fold the antenna back when needed for clearance in car parks etc.

On my next buggy, I used a tailgate mount and the cable entered the cab via a grommet in the hinge clearance space for the upper tailgate. An aluminium plug I'd turned up bunged the grommet when I sold the car, no one even knew it was there.

With a bit of ingenuity, you can get a clean installation and not affect the resale value.

David
Old 6th Jun 2021, 1:51 pm   #7
Reelman
Octode

One trick I used years ago was to remove the rear window wiper on my hatchback and use the resulting hole to mount the aerial. This was purely a temporary measure as I was about to sell the car did not want to make any holes. Oddly enough I had to visit the garage and they were concerned I was going to sell them a non standard car.

The best compromise is probably the tailgate mount as suggested by David. Certainly popular judging by the car parks at radio rallies! (Remember them? )

Peter
Old 6th Jun 2021, 3:44 pm   #8
Malcolm G6ANZ
Octode

When I ran a 2m mobile rig I had a 5/8 aerial mag-mount in the centre of the roof. The coax came in via the passenger door and ,as said, the door rubber fitted round it. When I upgraded to a Land Rover I had to bolt the aerial to the roof as it was an aluminium body. The rig was then a TS700 held with a bungee cord on the middle seat.
From my experiences the aerial really does need to be as close to the centre of the roof as possible, this will ensure a good ground plane.
My real call is G8KGH, G6ANZ/T was my television call in the days when you had to have permission to transmit television.
Malcolm
Old 6th Jun 2021, 5:03 pm   #9
crackle
Rest in Peace

Decent RG58 fits nicely through the door jamb and squishes into the rubber door seals quite well.
Old 6th Jun 2021, 5:05 pm   #10
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Of course going mobile is a "grey" area , re holding the mike etc. Like a mobile phone in effect.

Possibly needs hands free as a minimum.
Old 6th Jun 2021, 5:59 pm   #11
Tea_Bot
Triode

I removed the broadcast rx aerial and used the hole to mount a pmr type base, with a garex 2m/70cm whip. Also used a glass mount stick-on for the broadcast radio. MW was poor but FM ok.
Was very stealth, factory looking and easy to return back to stock, when sold.

Tea Bot
Old 6th Jun 2021, 6:00 pm   #12
Tea_Bot
Triode

Though would use a mag mount next time.
Old 6th Jun 2021, 6:19 pm   #13
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

I only really operate mobile these days but when I do I am always 'static mobile', parked up in some prominent high spot somewhere.

Two decades ago I used to natter while I was going along but I wouldn't do it now, I'm conscious that I am not as young as I was and maybe not able to multitask the way I used to be so I either talk or drive, but very rarely both.

Two way radio users are exempt from the mobile phone law but if you crossed paths with the wrong authority figure in a bad mood they could still decide you were proceeding without due care and attention. If you really do want to operate mobile mobile then hands-free is probably the way to go.

Regarding the temporary removal of the rear wiper to fit a body mounted aerial mount in its place, I was told a few years ago that if there is a rear wiper it must work but that it is OK, for MOT purposes, not to have one at all. So this is a perfectly acceptable non-destructive way to do it, and one which you can reverse when the need arises.
Old 6th Jun 2021, 10:09 pm   #14
NottsIan
Tetrode

If you do put the cable through a door or tailgate opening, the cable will last much better if laid almost parallel to the opening. Putting it at 90 degrees kinks it dreadfully.
Old 6th Jun 2021, 11:15 pm   #15
Herald1360
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamishBoxer View Post
Of course going mobile is a "grey" area , re holding the mike etc. Like a mobile phone in effect.

Possibly needs hands free as a minimum.
It's not so much "grey" as just not a specific offence to use a hand held mike for amateur or private mobile radio communication whilst driving. You could still be prosecuted for driving without due care and attention if the police considered it affected your ability to drive safely.

I suspect the mobile phone law may have been framed deliberately specifically to avoid problems with emergency services and the like. Or possibly the legislators never even considered the possibility that members of the public had access to any form of mobile radio communication other than mobile phones.....
.........O..Chris....O
Old 7th Jun 2021, 11:53 am   #16
Wendymott
Octode

One "local" amateur.. in the 60's used a GPO exchange operators breast mike with a modern insert, totally "hands free" TX switching was either VOX or paddle switch, CQ CQ CQ 160 /M. Antenna was a G3FIF whip bumper mounted........... well cars had bumpers them

Regards
Wendy G8BZY

Last edited by Wendymott; 7th Jun 2021 at 11:55 am. Reason: Additional text
Old 7th Jun 2021, 12:32 pm   #17
HECTOR63
Banned

Many Many thanks Folks for all the replies,yes theres some very useful tips there and shall be looking at different ideas of whats currently in the market,but probably wait to see what happens at radio rallies as and when if they return this year in my area.The points on handsfree are duly noted but I am not looking to undertake speaking whilst driving as so much information has to be considered when TX an RX are in operation,it would be mainly for general reception when driving and when suitable place to reply or specific area I may be going to to conduct communication in a parked and secure area would be undertaken there after.Body mount for ground plane would be ideal and so long as fitting and ceiling is all done well should be maintanable,there also seems to be some very clever window feeds available and cable route adapters,but the advices on door rubbers etc has helped alot aswell.

Last edited by HECTOR63; 7th Jun 2021 at 12:34 pm. Reason: Minor Typo now corrected.
Old 7th Jun 2021, 1:38 pm   #18
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Herald 1360 Absolutely correct, that is how I should have put it. Depends on the person who pulls you up as to what they consider at the time.

Not for me anymore, I used to be /M in the 70's but the world has changed.
Old 7th Jun 2021, 2:07 pm   #19
electronicskip
Nonode

I use either a mag mount on my car with the coax pushed inside the window or even pushed in the door via the door rubber , but i also have a clamp mount on my scooter which goes on the luggage rack but in fact is meant to be on the door mirror.
Works just fine on my scooter.
Old 9th Jun 2021, 3:38 pm   #20
Steve G4WCS
Heptode

Triple magmount recommended.

I use either a “modulator “ or watson firestik for 10, and a single band mobile antenna for 20. Not set up for mobile in the current vehicle as Im not going so far
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5BEBAF35-B867-4EAE-BBA1-0519F4AF01B9.jpeg
Views:	72
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	235641   Click image for larger version

Name:	3EC64002-F80D-4CD6-AE27-CC516868CE9C.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	235642  
Closed Thread