UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Offered and Wanted Messages > Repair and Restoration Services Wanted

Notices

Repair and Restoration Services Wanted If you need someone to repair or restore equipment for you please post your request here.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Jan 2021, 9:30 pm   #1
Steve-MWDX
Diode

Default Waking up receiver from cold storage - Collins R390

Iím looking to make contact with an experienced radio restorer somewhere in the York vicinity.

The reason for my request is because I have an ex-US military valve radio Collind R390A/URR that has been in storage for 20 years. I know it worked fine and was calibrated before storage but I donít want to blow it up by plugging it cold straight into 240volt mains. I know itís a top of the range rig but after this time it could conceivably have duff capacitors.

I could get a variac, or make a electrolytic capacitor reformer (I have the techie knowledge) but it seems silly to do this just for one receiver Ė I donít expect to be restoring more any time soon.

Rather Iíd like to get together with someone who has the right gear/workshop/experience. I'd prefer to do this relatively local as this radio really does live up to the description "boat anchor" and isn't easily shipable

Can anyone assist?
Old 7th Jan 2021, 10:15 pm   #2
agardiner
Hexode

Default Re: Waking up receiver from cold storage - Collins R390

Hopefully someone local will reply to you, but if not then I would be happy to take a look once lockdown restrictions ease. I am about a 3 hour drive from you and agree it is not really something you can ship!
Old 8th Jan 2021, 12:30 pm   #3
Steve-MWDX
Diode

Default Re: Waking up receiver from cold storage - Collins R390

Thanks. Yes it is an 85 pound beast of a receiver. For anyone who has never seen it, it is an amazing piece of mechanical and valve design. possibly the best valve communications receiver ever made. So I'd like to treat mine with caution as I wake it up!
Closed Thread