UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Nov 2020, 11:44 am   #21
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: Grundig 3028 3D

Dom, that should do the job nicely. One of my 1950s Cossor sets now has a 1970s Panasonic bass driver installed in the same way. I managed to make the adaptor plate out of the Panasonic's original cabinet.

Mick, I think there was one of these offered here not long ago.

EDIT: it was the slightly different VHF101: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=172006
Old 2nd Nov 2020, 11:59 am   #22
stevehertz
Dekatron

The first I did when restoring mine was to replace all the blue lozenge capacitors. They're notorious for going leaky, and that's what I found when I took them out and tested them. They're the German equivalent to 'our' wax paper caps. Just change them all and be done.
Old 7th Jan 2021, 9:21 pm   #23
sexton_mallard
Hexode

This big beast of a radio had now got SWMBO approval in the kitchen, fitting very tightly in a small dresser. It will never be perfect...the piano key switching is a bit intermittent, the dial printing is damaged and the AM ferrite aerial rotator has been unthreaded for now as the wiring to the coils is fragile. Washing up is now made entertaining with the big smooth sound, Radio Wales on FM sounds superb and picked up well on the internal case aerial. A bit more fettling will be done in due course as the MW band reception tails off from 400m upwards. SW is excellent and LW is on par with other valve sets I have.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1610050343379416807933.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	224088  

Less snakes...more ladders!
Old 7th Jan 2021, 10:09 pm   #24
Joe_Lorenz
Hexode

Congrats, that looks very decent! It surely contributes to a warm and familiar atmosphere!

Yes I agree the piano keys of these need some attention from time to time but nobody of this age is to be perfect at any time! BTW: In our family kitchen is a Loewe Opta "Meteor" on duty.
Old 9th Jan 2021, 10:55 am   #25
sexton_mallard
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Lorenz View Post
Congrats, that looks very decent! It surely contributes to a warm and familiar atmosphere!

Yes I agree the piano keys of these need some attention from time to time but nobody of this age is to be perfect at any time! BTW: In our family kitchen is a Loewe Opta "Meteor" on duty.
Thanks Joe! The placement of the high frequency drivers on the cabinet ends does create an interesting effect. The bass driver I cobbled in probably added another kilo of weight...it has a massive cast alloy basket and magnet. . Bearing in mind this set was manufactured in the late 1950s the fidelity is impressive. I recon you have the German version with a different dial? If so does yours have the dial peeling sellotape problem?

Old 7th Mar 2021, 12:53 am   #26
sexton_mallard
Hexode

This radio is putting up a bit of a fight. The replacement bass driver has started to buzz but to be fair it was water damaged and was working fine initially. I have some 6 inch car audio speakers to try out next. The set then went silent with the front end working fine as the magic eye continued to react across all the bands. Attention went to the voltages on the EL84. The 170 ohm cathode to earth resistor had failed open. A replacement brought the big booming sound back!

Old 7th Mar 2021, 12:08 pm   #27
simpsons
Octode

Whilst it is difficult to place a large radio in a modern environment, sandwiching the set between two shelves with its back to the wall, no puns intended, is asking for trouble. The set produces quite a lot of heat and components do not last long when hot.

Not sure how you get around the issue in your home, but there is also the dropper resistor behind the press board back which will be heating it up locally.

Sorry to be a damp squib, on your effort, but my experience in using a 3028 in our breakfast room faced a similar problem.
Old 8th Mar 2021, 11:19 am   #28
simpsons
Octode

Picking up on Vinrads comment on how good the Bush sealed enclosure radio sounded and in his opinion sounded as good as or better than the 3028.

The radio is a Bush VHF102 and even today has a contemporary look about it and is cool running. FM is 88-108 Mhz

It just so happens there is one for sale on eBay. A non worker for £20 should it appeal to you as a means of giving your wife a listenable radio which fits between 2 shelves.

Chris
Old 9th Mar 2021, 12:41 am   #29
sexton_mallard
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpsons View Post

Sorry to be a damp squib, on your effort, but my experience in using a 3028 in our breakfast room faced a similar problem.
Not at all Chris. Thanks for the advice. The picture of the set shown shelved is misleading. The shelves are actually part of a open backed dresser which originally was an IKEA baby changer which stands out from the wall a few inches. The set run ok with the back getting plenty of air ensuring the underside is unobstructed. This set seems to have been stored in a damp place before my ownership. The failed resistor was placed with very short leads and could have been subject to thermal and mechanical stress from the hot EL84 heating and cooling down.

Last edited by sexton_mallard; 9th Mar 2021 at 12:44 am. Reason: Typo
Old 9th Mar 2021, 10:46 am   #30
simpsons
Octode

Dom

Thank you for the welcome news. I can now sleep at night!!

I have a particular fondness for the European family of radios which mirrored the up-market designs being built for that market and exports to the USA

The Grundig 3028 was a trend setter for both good quality sound, a clutch for allowing AM and FM stations to be "pre set" and a move away from the box like radios which preceded it.

The impact of television had less of an effect in Europe and the US coupled with their greater disposable income whilst the UK suffered 33% + purchase tax and "stop and go" policies all of which were designed to boost "Global Britain" exports but in the event hampered UK manufactures. Nothing new there then?

Chris
Old 9th Mar 2021, 9:46 pm   #31
Joe_Lorenz
Hexode

Hello Dom,

Quote:
I recon you have the German version with a different dial? If so does yours have the dial peeling sellotape problem?
Yes I do have the domestic German version, and the dial is still ok. Luckily! In my collection there are some other Grundig sets that suffer from the sellotape issue as well.

As I hear "170 Ohm cathode resistor" a bell rings silently in my memories: These are prone to fail in many Grundig sets of that period. It can happen, too, that the rising value of the resistor kills the electrolytic capacitor that is in parallel to it as the voltage across it rises too much when the resistor gets high. So no bad idea to replace the resistor, too.

Most of these Grundig have proven to be good work horses. Your speaker upgrade seems to be worth thinking about as I have left a 4010 bare chassis in my storage awaiting revival.

Regards, Joe
Old 23rd Jun 2021, 11:15 pm   #32
sexton_mallard
Hexode

Since then this set has been in almost daily use and has been faultless. Reception on the built in FM aerial is adequate plus a bit of streamed radio from a bluetooth-2-FM converter placed nearby.

Closed Thread