UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Offered and Wanted Messages > Sets, Parts and Service Information Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps)

Notices

Sets, Parts and Service Information Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps) If you need help obtaining components, sets or equipment, post a message here. Private buyers only - no traders. No swaps.

Old 24th Jun 2021, 10:38 am   #21
HECTOR63
Hexode

Default Re: Soldering Iron Advice for Silver Solder use

https://www.hificollective.co.uk/com...ns_output.html

I just found this as a take on the point of Silver wound transformers and found a useful guide to see what's what.
Again so many thanks for all the replies to what for me is just a project that I have been asked to participate in and the customer wants to explore the silver thing so that's where we are at this stage-but the replies are all duly noted and very much educating as to what's what from members and alike that have past and present experiences of this genre, greatly appreciated as always.

Old 24th Jun 2021, 10:59 am   #22
Uncle Bulgaria
Octode

As you know there are lots of very highly skilled engineers on here, who have dealt with applications far more demanding than audio. I think your customer could save a lot of money by not being seduced by the silver. The electrons and the ears won't be able to tell, but the wallet will.

I'm interested to see the discussion of 'silver solder'. In my experience, that's always been used to refer to hard solder as mentioned earlier - requiring a piece cut off and melted into a jewellery joint with flux and a blowtorch. Perhaps 'silver loaded' is a better generic term for electronics solder that contains silver for whatever reason? I read some silver in the alloy is beneficial for SMD, but have had no need of it myself.
Uncle Bulgaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Jun 2021, 12:26 pm   #23
Radio Wrangler

At RF there is little value in solid silver because of the skin depth. Silver plated copper wire is used in HF coils. Cavities for use t UHF/Microwave are sometimes silver plated. Both of these show better Q, lower loss and can be used for narrower bndwidths with the silver plate.

Gold is more resistive, but gold plating is sometimes used for its anti-tarnishing properties.

To get gold plate to be robust, it's usual to have a thin gold flash on top of a thicker nickel layer. Those gold plate PCBs do look wonderful, but they are lossier at RF than plain solder-mask-on-bare-copper type. Skin effect puts most RF current in the nickel layer, it never even gets down to the copper! and Nickel is quite high resistivity as metals go.

David
Old 25th Jun 2021, 10:04 am   #24
HECTOR63
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
At RF there is little value in solid silver because of the skin depth. Silver plated copper wire is used in HF coils. Cavities for use t UHF/Microwave are sometimes silver plated. Both of these show better Q, lower loss and can be used for narrower bndwidths with the silver plate.

Gold is more resistive, but gold plating is sometimes used for its anti-tarnishing properties.

To get gold plate to be robust, it's usual to have a thin gold flash on top of a thicker nickel layer. Those gold plate PCBs do look wonderful, but they are lossier at RF than plain solder-mask-on-bare-copper type. Skin effect puts most RF current in the nickel layer, it never even gets down to the copper! and Nickel is quite high resistivity as metals go.

David
Many thanks David with the values to be considered for contact resistances and cable properties etc-I think this will be a one off,but as mentioned before its just a fabrication but to be practical it shall probaly end up being a decnt copper event and unleaded or alike for the solder.The pcb as and when will be straight forward as its just a delivery Bus out toward audio for catridge phono stage and all that jazz ecxternally and PSU to suit as necessary-shall porbably be some off the shelf num,bers with those but its all about the plinth and platter then spindle bearings and motor considerarions and yet to unfold ratio of layout for Motor to spindle drive to get speeds etc setup and set up a trial as its only for personal project BUild of two initially to experiment with for personal use.