UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Jun 2021, 11:10 am   #1
mark2collection
Hexode

Default Bush DAC90 & DAC90A Survey

Given the passage of time since these sets were discontinued from the production line, their popularity has yet to wane, and for good reason.

A number of posts have asked questions on dates, for example when dials were changed, knob styles, dropper colour etc. Wouldn't it be great if we could capture an over lap or two by way of a survey vs serial numbers, possibly with date stamps too(!)

Wouldn't it also be great to capture any factory 'odd-ball' sets or, ones you have modified at home to improve performance or cosmetics. Some of these 'mods' we know of, or have heard of, but what set/date or serial number do those 'mods' relate? Particularly the factory 'odd-balls', and of course, current set condition. It would be great if any factory oddities or 'mods' could be highlighted in a different text colour.

Who physically has the oldest surviving example? Who has the youngest, last of the line?

To begin, here I present my humble stash, hopefully in date order:

DAC90, black, smooth knobs, cream dial, fabric 'speaker cover, HT cap date, August 1946, 10/14693. Restored, good condition.

DAC90A, cream, fluted knobs, yellow on black dial, large-hole 'speaker grille, Plessey loudspeaker, external aerial sockets, (no dates stamps found), 97/03084. Restored, good condition.

DAC90A, brown, though looks more like red Serpentine, fluted Knobs, yellow & red on black dial, large-hole 'speaker grille, power knob has 'volume - on/off' engraved (TV22 style, not likely factory fitted), Kalee20 audio modification, HT cap date, February 1953, loudspeaker date code 28AK (28/1/53), 73/85579. Restored, good condition.

DAC90A, brown (mottled), fluted knobs, yellow & red on black dial, large-hole 'speaker grille, captive mains lead, HT cap date, May 1954, loudspeaker date code (2-of!) 04EL (4/5/54) & 29FL (29/6/54), 73/139275. Restored back from the grave, excellent condition.

DAC90A, brown (marbled), chunky knobs, gold & green over black dial, small-hole 'speaker grille, 'speaker date code 10FM (10/6/1955), 73/189236. Restored, immaculate condition. Dealer sticker at the rear, H.F Smith (Bros) Market Place, Easingwold. TV, Radio & Cycle Engineers.

All above sets are 'green dropper' too.

I hope this will add to the interest & fun aspect of this wonderful hobby.

Mark

NB, Celestion date codes were found here:- https://www.bygonetones.com/celestion-date-codes.html
Old 18th Jun 2021, 12:27 pm   #2
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Default Re: Bush DAC90 & DAC90A Survey

Hi Mark,

Early and odd DAC90As have been a recurring subject here - a couple of past threads are

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=121968

(photo of 73/00019, and my recollection of someone claiming ownership of 73/00002), and

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=62614

- the "unusual" one of the thread title is actually a standard set from the middle period of production, with deep solid knobs and gold/green dial, but also featuring there is my set in plain milk-chocolate brown bakelite which came in factory-applied cream paint - 73/227666. It may have been a response to the vulnerability of cream cabinets to heat stress, though I think I've seen at least one "proper" cream 90A with a later serial number than that.

Paul
Old 18th Jun 2021, 4:55 pm   #3

Mine is 73/153707, a brown one.

Old 18th Jun 2021, 6:43 pm   #4
bobhowe
Heptode

Hi my collection AC91( do not know the year ) 3 band LW MW SW mottled brown cabinet white drain cover style speaker grille white tuning dial standard spec got alignment faults DAC90 1947 black cabinet cloth speaker grille white tuning dial standard spec recapped good working order DAC90A (March 1956 chassis) Ivory cabinet gold metal speaker grille white DAC90 tuning dial been modified Bob Howe UL44 valve conversion & Ed Dinning auto transformer recapped this set was build up from scrap set parts bought online .This set Performs Excellent .Got 2 other sets 1 is a DAC90 standard chassis April 1952 grey mains dropper brown cabinet missing speaker grille back knobs & tuning Dial going to stuff capacitors and keep original .DAC90A 2 will post a new thread soon and add to this list kind regards Bob

Last edited by bobhowe; 18th Jun 2021 at 6:49 pm. Reason: spelling
Old 18th Jun 2021, 8:23 pm   #5
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Code:
Model    s/n     smoothing condenser date
DAC90  10/ 76387  sept 1949

DAC90A  73 88313  1953 (month obscured by the clip)
Both have brown mottled Bakelite and appear to be typical specimens.
How many DAC90 scale variants are there? Mine has a dark background with the bush logo top centre, but I've seen them with a white background with the logo to the right of the LW station names. Were there any further subtleties?
Old 18th Jun 2021, 8:48 pm   #6
bobhowe
Heptode

Hi Graham dont know how many variants were made but there was speculation that for staff at the Bush factory there was a few red & green versions made slightly OT the 1950s GPO 332L Telephones looked great in red green going to start a new thread about cabinets kind regards Bob
Old 19th Jun 2021, 8:25 am   #7
MurphyNut
Heptode

It would be great if a coloured version came to light, l love these Bush sets but nothing surprises me about them anymore.
Old 19th Jun 2021, 8:43 am   #8
Cobaltblue

For anyone who's not seen it worth going to Mike Izycky's Bush website and checkout the design classics
http://www.bushradio.co.uk/classics.html
There was discussion that coloured sets were given to retirees.
Cheers
Mike T
Old 21st Jun 2021, 9:52 pm   #9
Sideband
Dekatron

My only Bush DAC90A is as follows:
Serial no. 73/144395. Mottled brown bakelite. orange/yellow tuning scale, original two-pin connector with matching Bush plug (not sure about the mains lead which is black PVC outer with red, black wires). Excellent back cover with dealer sticker: S Meadowcroft Radio and Television, 67 Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire. Other details: Original output transformer, original valves (I think....none changed by me), green dropper, Celestion speaker label missing. Original scale lamps still fitted and working. Condition now: fully restored and working, no mods (except isolate pin 4 of UL41). Suspect low usage.
Old 15th Aug 2021, 7:01 pm   #10
dj_Keet
Triode

Great thread and idea I thought it was only me but I think Im also afflicted with the 'Completeness syndrome' where I want to keep my Dac 90A's because of varying characteristics. I have one with a grey dropper I thought something was wrong with it, I also have one with a massive a mica/silica cap across the output transformer. There are so many variations even down to wiring its got to be into the hundreds just for the 90A alone. By the way is there a search engine that the serial numbers can be fed into to reveal more info?
Old 16th Aug 2021, 8:33 am   #11
Tractionist
Heptode

I spotted a mint [dirty] 90A on a car boot the other day [black and green scale] it had a perfect original back, un-serrated knobs and 'wing' wave change and ...... a black circular three pin keyed Bulgin power plug and lead. I've never seen a 90 or 90A with this type of [very sensible] connector and wonder whether this was OEM [it was certainly very nicely done] - I do however wonder how the earth was wired ... if at all.

I didn't remove the back [or buy it] - but it appeared to be all there/original internally .......
Old 16th Aug 2021, 9:12 am   #12
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

I guess must have been added.
Old 16th Aug 2021, 9:47 pm   #13
Ken Taylor
Pentode

s/n 73/101747. Can't remember date on smoothing cap.Case is brown, dial is Red/gold on black. OP transformer open circuit, loudspeaker needed re-gluing, much crumbling insulation replaced, volume control replaced, power cord replaced, as well as usual waxy condensers. It works well and lives in guest bedroom.

Ken
Old 19th Aug 2021, 10:14 pm   #14
dj_Keet
Triode

Can anyone shed any light on my Ivory 73/ 80108 I cannot work out whether some of the components (red caps on tag board, safety cap and the cap fitted to the output transformer)were factory fitted or a repair?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dac 90a ivory 1.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	239681   Click image for larger version

Name:	dac 90a ivory 2.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	239682   Click image for larger version

Name:	dac 90a ivory 3.jpg
Views:	69