UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Apr 2020, 12:58 am   #1
ilovemypets
Triode

Default Can I use rechargable batteries in a vintage record player? National Panasonic SG-760

Hello.
I wonder if anyone knows if I can put rechargeable batteries into my old battery operated record player, it is a National Panasonic SG-760F, it says it takes D size flashlight batteries.

I'm not positive but think my player is from the 60's. I have had a look on Google but cannot find my answer. Hopefully someone can help me with the answer. Thank you so much.
Old 3rd Apr 2020, 10:17 pm   #2
hamid_1
Heptode

Default Re: Can I use rechargable batteries in a vintage record player?

Generally speaking, yes, you can use standard-size rechargeable batteries in place of disposable ones.

I've used some in a 1970s Sanyo portable record player without any problems. In my case, I used AA rechargeable batteries inserted into AA to D size adaptors instead of actual D-size rechargeable batteries which are available, but more expensive. I already had some AA rechargeable batteries and an AA battery charger, so I didn't want to buy another charger and set of batteries.

A few points to note:

Regular high-capacity Ni-MH rechargeable batteries lose their charge quite rapidly when not being used. You might find they are flat after about 3 months, and you'll have to spend a few hours recharging them again before you can use them which is inconvenient if you only use your record player infrequently. There are now pre-charged, ready-to-use rechargeable batteries available which can stay charged for a year or more. (Also called Hybrid or Eneloop batteries) These may be a better buy.

Rechargeable batteries can supply a lot more current than the old zinc-carbon batteries that your record player was designed for. This is normally a good thing, but in case a short-circuit fault develops in your appliance, the rechargeable batteries could become very hot, causing burns or damage. If the record player does not work and the batteries feel hot, remove the batteries immediately.

Another point about rechargeable batteries: they usually go flat very suddenly without much warning. For this reason they are unsuitable for devices such as smoke alarms where failure could endanger life.
Old 3rd Apr 2020, 11:06 pm   #3
Boulevardier
Octode

These GP brand Ni-MH D-cells from CPC are probably as good as you will get at the price -

https://cpc.farnell.com/gp-batteries...mah/dp/BT06290
Old 3rd Apr 2020, 11:54 pm   #4
emeritus
Dekatron

The only item I have met where the instructions specifically said not to use rechargeable batteries to prevent damage is a Mecabltz electronc flash gun I bought in 1968. It was mentioned in a contemporary photographic magazine review of such flashguns that they relied on the internal impedance of disposable batteries to limit the inrush current, and that, although the then-available rechargeable batteries (nickel cadmium) had a lower voltage than disposable ones, their much lower internal impedance could deliver enough surge current to cause damage. I can't see this being a problem with a record player, other than, as mentioned above, if a short circuit fault occurs.
Old 4th Apr 2020, 9:13 am   #5
bluepilot
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by emeritus View Post
I can't see this being a problem with a record player, other than, as mentioned above, if a short circuit fault occurs.
Some things come with plastic tubes which you slip over the battery before installing it. These provide additional insulation if the coating on the battery itself becomes damaged.

The golden age is always yesterday - Asa Briggs
Old 6th Apr 2020, 2:03 pm   #6
ilovemypets
Triode

Thank you so much everyone, perfect.

I will get your recommended batteries Boulevardier, thank you.

Sorry I have one more question to do this with post if someone can again help please. Can anyone let me know/recommend what battery charger I need to buy to use with the batteries below? I'm really sorry I am clueless but hopefully will learn a bit off this forum. It is really interesting.

Thank you again in advance.

https://cpc.farnell.com/gp-batteries...mah/dp/BT06290
Old 6th Apr 2020, 3:05 pm   #7
Boulevardier
Octode

Worth looking at chargers at CPC online if you're ordering the rechargeable batteries from them. You might have a job finding one that will charge all your D-cells at the same time, and you may have to charge them in two batches.

Mike
Old 6th Apr 2020, 4:33 pm   #8
Scimitar
Heptode

Quote:
The only item I have met where the instructions specifically said not to use rechargeable batteries to prevent damage is a Mecabltz electronc flash gun I bought in 1968.
Unless you bought their own branded Ni-Cd pack that it. For some reason, they didn't have the same problem as singles in the AA case.
Old 6th Apr 2020, 5:54 pm   #9
vinrads
Dekatron

A word of warning , you need to fit a suitable fuse in line with the battery I would think a 1 amp would be ok . protection, should a fault develop it won't catch fire Mick.
Old 6th Apr 2020, 6:26 pm   #10
Herald1360
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scimitar View Post
Quote:
The only item I have met where the instructions specifically said not to use rechargeable batteries to prevent damage is a Mecabltz electronc flash gun I bought in 1968.
Unless you bought their own branded Ni-Cd pack that it. For some reason, they didn't have the same problem as singles in the AA case.

Could be just a cynical ploy, or maybe the own brand pack had a suitable resistor in series with the battery?

Wouldn't be difficult to simulate anyway- just measure the peak current from a set of nearly new alkaline AAs, then experiment a bit with resistors in series with your NiCd (starting high!) to get a similar peak current.

.........O..Chris....O
Old 6th Apr 2020, 8:31 pm   #11
buggies
Heptode

Looks like being an expensive project - do you really need it to run from battery power?
I believe it has sockets for a 9 volt external power supply?
Old 6th Apr 2020, 11:48 pm   #12
hamid_1
Heptode

Rechargeable batteries are more expensive to buy, but better value in the long term if you use them frequently.

Running something directly from the mains (using a mains adaptor if needed) is almost always cheaper than using batteries. The only exception I can think of is electric clocks, which cost slightly more to run each year than the price of a disposable battery in a quartz clock.

Supposing you buy the suggested D batteries https://cpc.farnell.com/gp-batteries...mah/dp/BT06290

You'll need 3 packs at £9.30 inc VAT, that's £27.90 so far.

Then you'll need a charger, such as this one: https://cpc.farnell.com/gp-batteries...imh/dp/BT06299

Total so far: £27.90 + £19.43 = £47.33

For about the same price you could buy 3 packs of 10 disposable alkaline batteries : https://cpc.farnell.com/gp-batteries...k10/dp/BT00064

This would give you 5 sets of 6 batteries, so you would start saving money after you had used all of these.

There is one snag, and that's if you buy the above rechargeable batteries and charger, you can only charge 2 or 4 batteries at a time. Your record player uses a set of 6. It will take 12.5 hours to recharge the first 4 batteries, then another 12.5 hours to recharge the other 2 in the set, during which time you will be unable to use your record player. You could buy another set of rechargeable batteries to keep in reserve, or an extra charger to shorten the total charging time, or accept the delay while the batteries are being charged.

As I mentioned earlier, I opted to use the more common and cheaper AA size rechargeable batteries with adaptors. At one time, Poundland sold packs of one AA rechargeable battery with D size adaptor for £1. They even sold 2xAA battery chargers (USB powered) for £1 as well. They no longer seem to stock these, but they still sell packs of 2 AA cells for £1. Lidl supermarkets sometimes have special offers on rechargeable batteries of different sizes. AA rechargeable batteries and adaptors are available online, e.g. Amazon : https://www.amazon.co.uk/Size-Batter.../dp/B0092XYLP6

Although they are a lot cheaper, the catch with using AA batteries is that they hold less charge, so they'll run out faster and need more frequent charging than D cells. This is particularly true of the Poundland AA cells, which have a relatively small capacity. Nonetheless, I've used them in my Sanyo briefcase portable record player. They're fine for occasional use. As a bonus, I can use the AA batteries in other gadgets and save even more money.
Old 7th Apr 2020, 9:23 am   #13
crackle
Rest in Peace

Manufacturers often said do not use rechargeable batteries on items like flash guns and radio microphones because the performance will be impaired due to the voltage of the batteries being significantly lower (20% less).
On a battery operated record player I have the speed control has to be turned up fully because I am using rechargeable batteries.
Mike
Old 7th Apr 2020, 11:00 am   #14
dglcomp
Heptode

Sometimes Lidl have their own Tronic branded Ni-Mh batteries and chargers, cheap @~£3 a pack (2xC/D 4xAA/AAA) and their intelligent chargers are good too.
Old 7th Apr 2020, 11:39 am   #15
suebutcher
Heptode

In my experience some AA rechargables are slightly larger than alkaline AA's. So you'd need to check the fit.
Old 7th Apr 2020, 11:49 am   #16
poppydog
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by suebutcher View Post
In my experience some AA rechargables are slightly larger than alkaline AA's. So you'd need to check the fit.
I have found that out. If you put rechargeable AAs in those c size cases and your radio takes 3 or 4 of them in parallel all in a line, you are in trouble as the combined increased length of the rechargeable batteries is actually quite a bit

poppydog
Old 7th Apr 2020, 1:13 pm   #17
Herald1360
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Quote:
I have found that out. If you put rechargeable AAs in those c size cases and your radio takes 3 or 4 of them in parallel all in a line, you are in trouble as the combined increased length of the rechargeable batteries is actually quite a bit

poppydog
"In series all in a line" perhaps?
.........O..Chris....O
Old 7th Apr 2020, 2:34 pm   #18
poppydog
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herald1360 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Quote:

poppydog
"In series all in a line" perhaps?
I changed it after I read it in preview as i thought that's not right. I knew what I meant though, "parallel" means "series" in Cornish Chris.
Old 7th Apr 2020, 5:19 pm   #19
AC/HL
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackle View Post
Manufacturers often said do not use rechargeable batteries on items like flash guns and radio microphones because the performance will be impaired due to the voltage of the batteries being significantly lower (20% less).
Also, the general public were not as aware as we were/are of the mixed behaviours of rechargeable cells, possibly resulting in unwanted callbacks.
Old 7th Apr 2020, 10:49 pm   #20
astro63
Pentode

i have several battery players and always stuck to Duracell batteries and find they last ages ranging from 60 hours and upwards, with volume at a reasonable level
Closed Thread