UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Oct 2023, 1:26 pm   #1
Jolly 7
Octode

Default Antenna plug rewiring

I am not sure what this plug is called. It's similar to a PL259 plug. I am trying to rewire it and managed to yank out the centre pin. However, the old braid is still stuck inside. Is there an easy way to remove it without using special tools ? I tried rotating it but it won't come out. Can someone please advise. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20231019_131827.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	286530   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20231019_131928.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	286531  
Old 19th Oct 2023, 1:57 pm   #2
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: Antenna plug rewiring

Looks like a N plug.

It's a crimp-on type , on assembly the braid is trapped between an inner sleeve on the body of the plug and the outer hexagonal crimped-on metal sleeve and the centre pin is likewise crimped to the coax centre wire.

Not rewireable.
Old 19th Oct 2023, 1:58 pm   #3
GMB
Dekatron

That looks like an N type connector.
But it is a crimp type. So there is no good way to use it now.
Old 19th Oct 2023, 2:37 pm   #4
Jolly 7
Octode

Thanks for the replies. I had this N plug and a matching socket lying around, so thought if giving it a go. I might fit a new PL259 socket instead, as the old PL259 socket is jammed tight to a plug and there's probably nothing I can do to unscrew it without damaging both ?
Old 19th Oct 2023, 2:38 pm   #5
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

If it is only to be used for receiving (no power) it may be possible with a little micro surgery to effect a repair. With, depending on frequencies used a small loss of signal
New ones that are solder type are available

Ed
Old 19th Oct 2023, 2:44 pm   #6
Radio Wrangler

You just need a new N type plug. There are some with screw-up gland fittings made for RG213 and for RG58 (rarer)

Easy way out is to get a new BNC to suit the cable *compression gland fitting avoids need for the right crimp tool) Then use it with a BNC to N type adaptor.

David