UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Where To Get Sets and Parts

Notices

Where To Get Sets and Parts For discussions about swapmeets, rallies, NVCF and BVWS, car boot sales, antique and charity shops, dealers, newspaper adverts, the local tip and just about any other source of equipment (other than eBay).

Closed Thread

Old 15th Apr 2011, 8:09 am   #21
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Wind up reel-2-reel

I believe a commercially made wind up reel to reel was available in the 50s.I remember at school seeing it in a collage picture in a book in the library . THe winder looked garrard.
I would love to know that I didnt imagine this ..
Old 15th Apr 2011, 8:23 am   #22
brenellic2000
Octode

Default Re: Wind up reel-2-reel

The Gramdeck was a natural development from DIY wire-recorder kits from the late 1940s which used a gramophone deck - and certainly there were more 'add-on' tape deck adaptors for record players in the US than there were in the UK. I'd be truly surprised if they were used as a transitition in US radio stations. Don't forget the tape speed was dependent on the turntable's speed and only 78rpm offered a pseudo 7-1/2ips - the other turntable speeds were non-linear.

The Gramdeck was the last (thankfully!) attempt. Which? magazine tested it against a bunch of inexpensive decks (mainly BSR and Collaro based) but apart from good w&f from its host, failed to provide any conclusions! It'll still look impressive balanced on a Garrard 601 or other exotica...

Barry
Closed Thread