UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Where To Get Sets and Parts

Notices

Where To Get Sets and Parts For discussions about swapmeets, rallies, NVCF and BVWS, car boot sales, antique and charity shops, dealers, newspaper adverts, the local tip and just about any other source of equipment (other than eBay).

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Feb 2011, 6:56 pm   #1

Default 100 AA alkaline cells £14.99

I don't know if this is old news but Mapiln are doing 100 AA cells (and AAA for the same price) for a penny change from 15 quid.

Old 22nd Feb 2011, 7:07 pm   #2
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Default Re: 100 AA alkaline cells £14.99

These are in my experience quite good batteries. I'll pop into my local branch tomorrow and see if they've got any left! Thanks for the tip

Phil

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 22nd Feb 2011, 7:08 pm   #3
Ever-HMV
Retired Dormant Member

Poundland do 6 Alkaline (Kodak branded) AA cells for £1. Not quite such a low price per battery (16.6p) but still very good.

Besides, It'd take me years to get through 100!

I use them for my digital camera, and their lifetime compares well with a certain extensively advertised brand.

Rob
Old 22nd Feb 2011, 7:19 pm   #4
mickjjo
Rest in Peace

http://www.maplin.co.uk/extra-long-l...ue-packs-37067

Cheap enough to make an HT battery with if you have the patience to connect them all up..

Regards, Mick.
Old 22nd Feb 2011, 7:31 pm   #5

Quote:
Cheap enough to make an HT battery
Exactly what I was thinking, comparable in price to 10 x PP3s and about four times the capacity. The secret to connecting all these up is to glue them in a block first, have a lot of bits of wire cut to length and a hot soldering iron. Make the wire thick enough not to fuse if you short it out.

Old 22nd Feb 2011, 11:29 pm   #6
David G4EBT
Dekatron

I notice that batteries (or more accurately, cells in the case of AA and AAA) sold in shops such as Poundland and similar 'budget' stores often have famous brand names- Sony, Kodak, etc, but the sceptic in me wonders about the capacity, which is never stated. It would be interesting to see how they compare with more expensive brands, which are aggressively marketed, the promotional costs of which, along with the brand image, (rather than higher capacity), may account for much of the higher price.

I seem to recall on the forum, some years back, links to tests on the discharge curves of budget batteries, which varied significantly from one brand to another. The only thing I can find just now, is this, on AA cells, all of which are famous names:

http://www.powerstream.com/AA-tests.htm

Maybe there's someone out there in cyberspace, beavering away right now, testing the discharge rate of super-cheapo batteries if only we knew. Or perhaps not!

David.
Old 23rd Feb 2011, 12:11 am   #7
Herald1360
Dekatron

A pretty good indication of capacity or otherwise is the weight of the batteries. Cheap ones can be noticeably lighter even just hefted by hand rather than weighed. Should be easy enough to weigh up the requisite number of decent cells and a bit of packaging to provide a reference. I don't think there's any law against weighing them before you agree to buy, though the sales assistant may be uncooperative.....
.........O..Chris....O
Old 23rd Feb 2011, 11:05 am   #8
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Many of the cheap AAs are not very good. I got a dozen of them from a pound shop last year, and had problems; 50% of them had between 1.2 and 1.4 volts unloaded.
Old 23rd Feb 2011, 12:48 pm   #9

Went to Maplin today, the offer ended yesterday! However Halfords do 30AAs for £5.24 and they are two shops down where I am.

Old 23rd Feb 2011, 3:25 pm   #10
dennishoy
Retired Dormant Member

I bought a kit of different batteries (AAA, AA, PP3, C, D) from Maplin a couple of years ago and they were rubbish. They did not seem to have much charge to start with and after a couple of years even those still sealed in cellophane were no good.

For example, my wireless keyboard and mouse take 4 x AA and 2 x AAA respectively. I get 6-8 weeks of use from Duracells, but only got 2-3 weeks from the Maplin cells.

These were branded 'SuperPlus alkaline' in silver and blue casings.
Avoid at all costs IMHO!
Old 23rd Feb 2011, 4:16 pm   #11
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

I also did what Merlin did, and found out today that the offer ended yesterday.

Perhaps they sell-off older battery stocks that are approaching their sell-by date? That may account for Dennis's bad experience.

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 23rd Feb 2011, 11:41 pm   #12
Jonster
Heptode

I bought some Philips branded Alkaline AAs from Robert Dyas at Christmas. Utter rubbish there is a lot of tat out there. A lot of fake Duracells doing the rounds too, if you want quality then buy them from a reputable source.
Old 27th Feb 2011, 11:44 am   #13
michael cumming
Retired Dormant Member

There ok for torches but i once baught the powercell make and they were light in weight and the casings were soft, infact so soft you could squash them with your fingers, There great for testing stuff but what ever you do dont leave them in your equipment as they will leak, Panasonic and kodak are ok but avoid cheap names.
Old 27th Feb 2011, 1:53 pm   #14
terrykc
Rest in Peace

Can't quite match 100 AA for £14.99 but I can get 80 for £15.98 if it helps. Unlike the Maplin offer, this one seems to be long running ...:

#Power-Stations High Power Alkaline Battery - AA (LR6, MN1500) - Amazing Value 40 Pack!

Qu. .. Price (Prices include postage)
1 ..... £8.99
2-3 .. £7.99
4-7 .. £7.69
8-15 . £7.59
16+ ...£7.49
Old 27th Feb 2011, 4:34 pm   #15
michael cumming
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonster View Post
I bought some Philips branded Alkaline AAs from Robert Dyas at Christmas. Utter rubbish there is a lot of tat out there. A lot of fake Duracells doing the rounds too, if you want quality then buy them from a reputable source.
I went to Robert Dyas in Didcot and baught a few of those Energizer flat shape 1289 batterys as they had them for £1.50 each still in date an they were alkerline not zinc that was a few year ago an there still ok now, i have had trouble with Philips PP3s as they dont last, i know old equipment can drain batterys but this was a modern brand new hand held radio, it had little use but it died with in a week, Its not like Philips to make a bad product so came as a surprise. yet brands such as Panasonic an Kodak and now the new range of JCB batterys are good value, I would have thought Philips would be ok or better than brands mentioned. The strange thing was though the Philips torch batterys were ok but there PP3s not that good, may have been a bad batch. sadly i dont have a Robert Dyas store near me but there is Yorkshire trading company which do the JCB battery range an they are very good for the price. dont know which battery company makes these though.
Old 6th Mar 2011, 9:23 pm   #16
terrykc
Rest in Peace

I still can't match 100 for £14.99 but I'm getting closer!

I had an email flier from 7dayshop.com today:

Kodak Max - AA (LR6 and MN1500) Pack Of 12 Batteries - BUY 1 GET 1 FREE! Special Price £3.99 Delivered

So, at 24 for £3.99, that makes it 96 AA alkaline cells for £15.96 including delivery.

They also have AAA at the same price.

Closed Thread