UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Nov 2018, 3:38 pm   #1
newlite4
Octode

Default Dynatron Probe Adaptor

I picked up this device in Crewkerne around three months ago. As can be seen, Dynatron did not just make radios. The usual high attention to detail and precision assembly that we are all familiar with are evident here. The finish is the usual "nuclear cream" as opposed to "medical green", colours so evident in the fifties. The serial no is 51, so not a high production level on these.
This appears to be an interface box that goes between a GM probe and a radiation measurement system. This unit would not have travelled far, the Atomic Energy Research Establishment (now largely a science park) is only a short drive away near Weymouth.
Ten different types of reactor were tested here with a small amount of power generation feeding the grid.
Neil
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0153.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	173165   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0154.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	173166  
Old 20th Nov 2018, 5:20 pm   #2
Refugee
Dekatron

Default Re: Dynatron Probe Adaptor

There are indeed one or two unexpected makers of radiation counters.
I have got an EKCO one that is missing its probe.
Old 24th Nov 2018, 1:24 pm   #3
Herald1360
Dekatron

Ahhh...... lots of the dreaded pink wire
.........O..Chris....O
Old 24th Nov 2018, 3:37 pm   #4
Hartley118
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herald1360 View Post
Ahhh...... lots of the dreaded pink wire
.......but it's profitable pink wire. And I see that each wire is properly numbered.

Martin
Old 24th Nov 2018, 8:46 pm   #5
Synchrodyne
Nonode

Evidently part of the Dynatron Nucleonic range, which was given a brief mention in the 1954 Radio Show catalogue:

Name:	Radio Show 1954 p.93 Dynatron Nucleonic.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	173341

The cabinets included in that product list had been advertised previously:

Name:	EE 194901 p.28.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	173342

Cheers,
Old 25th Nov 2018, 2:41 pm   #6
turretslug
Dekatron

I expect that quite a few brands associated with domestic radio manufacture had had experience of wartime military contracts and some would have continuing reputation and contacts for government work. In a time when consumer circumstances continued to be austere, contracts for the then new and apparently wondrous nuclear industry must have been a useful lifeline and an opportunity to show off just how well they could make things (when the taxpayer cheques beckoned!)

It's striking that the isolating couplers, acrylic switch-mounts and PTFE feed-throughs all hint at something operating at high voltage and/or high impedance and possibly floated well above chassis potential, yet rather workaday Paxolin switch-wafers also feature. Of course, it could all be operating at 1kV or whatever, yet not need the relative clinical pole separation of ceramic wafers- still looks at odds, though!

I spy what looks like a late model, apparently good condition Eddystone 750 in the background,

Colin
Old 26th Nov 2018, 10:52 am   #7
newlite4
Octode

Hello Colin, yes, I had just finished restoring the 750 and was enjoying it until the cord broke . Still works well though, just got to keep spinning until I get something .
The area where this unit would have been used reads like a plot from The Avengers. Winfrith AERE is surrounded by villages crammed with thatched cottages and with an army tank testing range (Bovington) nearby as well as Lulworth Castle. When I last went down that way six months back a group of veteran cars came up through Winfrith Newborough. I almost expected John Steed and Emma Peel to pass me by .
Neil
Old 30th Nov 2018, 4:30 pm   #8
turretslug
Dekatron

Or the ghost of Colonel Lawrence on an ethereal Brough....

Good luck with the dial cord- the one on my early production 750 is frighteningly fine, almost as if it emerged from a robot spider. I assume from the dark green colour that it's something like bronze? When overhauling, I ran it through a bit of rag with some proprietary bicycle inner cable waxy lube in the hope of prolonging its life.

I wonder if Eddystone/Stratton ever got involved with things like the Dynatron module? They certainly made various low-run sets and modules for various government/professional applications and their reputation for precise, neat, sturdy construction would have suited this sort of thing to a T.
Closed Thread