UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Nov 2016, 4:33 pm   #1

Default A fast 'o' slow meter for my Magneta PO36 clock

This is to be a meter indicating how fast or slow my clock is with respect to MSF, it will have a micro and an MSF receiver in it and display the time difference on a meter.

Having received a meter for the project, many thanks to mole42uk, I have made the box to put it all in but I have a quandary, which way round? The switch shewn is to set it in +/- 5 second or +/- 25 second ranges.

So... which way round?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0639.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	133478   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0640.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	133479  

Last edited by Guest; 27th Nov 2016 at 4:34 pm. Reason: added a space

Old 27th Nov 2016, 5:17 pm   #2
8 Tracker
Hexode

Default Re: A fast 'o' slow meter for my Magneta PO36 clock

A very interesting little project. Did you make the scale yourself, or was it already in the meter?

Personally, I would have the needle swinging to the right to indicate fast, as this is the same direction the clock hands would move if they were fast.

Do let us know how you get on with this one.

By the way, I wondered what "DY" was to the left of the meter, then I realised, "HP" upside down!

Mark.

Last edited by 8 Tracker; 27th Nov 2016 at 5:39 pm.
Old 27th Nov 2016, 5:28 pm   #3

Quote:
Did you make the scale yourself
No it came with the meter, perfect for my application.

Quote:
I would have the needle swinging to the right to indicate fast
I wasn't thinking of that way round (it will be) but switch to the left or right?

Old 27th Nov 2016, 5:54 pm   #4
Radio Wrangler

I must have misunderstood something, it sounds too obvious If the switch selects the time range of the meter, have it so dolly-up selects the range on the upper scale, dolly down for the lower scale.

David
Old 27th Nov 2016, 6:29 pm   #5

Quote:
have it so dolly-up selects the range on the upper scale, dolly down for the lower scale
I didn't even think of that, the switch (got from from Maplin this morning) has a nice up for ON and down for OFF thingy, I was thinking ON for 5 seconds, you have nailed it there David.

Back to the original question (badly phrased by me), switch on the right of left (as per photos), they look the same to me but I am sure some industrial designer will know the correct side for it to be on. A bit pernickety I know, may as well get it right now rather than look at it later and think 'is that the right way round'?

Old 27th Nov 2016, 6:57 pm   #6
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

I think it depends on whether you are right or left-handed, so you don't obscure the meter with the hand you would normally use to operate the switch.

Andy
Old 27th Nov 2016, 7:16 pm   #7
8 Tracker
Hexode

Now I understand! I agree with Andy. I am right handed, so would naturally put the switch on the right.
Mark.
Old 27th Nov 2016, 7:46 pm   #8

I am swinging to the right too, will decide tomorrow and then you get to see the insides.

Old 28th Nov 2016, 4:16 pm   #9

Well, it is done, bit slack at work did the programming this morning. The micro is a "Start USB" http://www.mikroe.com/startusb/pic/ great little board, comes with a USB bootloader, no need for a programmer and code complied in Microchips IDE (Integrated Development Environment, it's free to as are the C compliers) just loads and runs (even the USB code, must be a clever bootloader). 5V regulator is from my old projects stash.

The pictures show the insides, the outside (showing 1.5 seconds fast) and a view of the whole clock. I use american coins to regulate the pendulum, much less likely to get nicked for want of 10p or so.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0641.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	133510   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0642.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	133511   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0643.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	133513  

Old 28th Nov 2016, 4:21 pm   #10

BTW if anyone want's the code you are more than welcome. It's engineers code not programmers! Attached the lot for fun.
Attached Files
File Type: zip FastSlow.zip (18.5 KB, 64 views)

Old 28th Nov 2016, 5:36 pm   #11
Radio Wrangler

A chrono-swingometer! You just need to book Peter Snow, now...

David