UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Where To Get Sets and Parts

Notices

Where To Get Sets and Parts For discussions about swapmeets, rallies, NVCF and BVWS, car boot sales, antique and charity shops, dealers, newspaper adverts, the local tip and just about any other source of equipment (other than eBay).

Closed Thread

Old 15th Mar 2011, 10:11 pm   #1
high_vacuum_house
Octode

Smile New Maplin opened in Rugby

Hello there,
I noticed by accident earlier on today there is a new Maplin shop that has opened in Rugby. It is located on the Leicester road as you head out of the town centre towards the M6, in the out of town shopping area known as junction 1.

I haven't been in there yet but I expect there is all the usual stuff in there (i.e only 2 1N4007 diodes kept in stock at any one time ) plus other useless tat !!

Christopher Capener
Old 15th Mar 2011, 11:42 pm   #2
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

Default Re: New Maplin opened in Rugby

Hi,
That might come in handy! I've previously gone to the one in Northampton, and I hate driving round Northampton!! Rugby is much nicer to drive round

regards,
Lloyd.
Old 16th Mar 2011, 3:42 pm   #3
ALANS ANITAS
Rest in Peace

Hi Lloyd

You do'nt have to go into the centre of Northampton from Rugby to get to Maplins. If you come in ether by the motorway/A45 or by the A428 it is after the junction of the two roads, past the bus garage and they are about 400 yards straight in front of you (the road curves to the left.) Turn right at the traffic lights just before you get to Maplins, and then first left. You can park right outside the store.

Now try to find Maplins in Coventry, sat nav would be a definate advantage.

Both the Northampton and Coventry stores are quite large,but the Rugby store is quite small.

Regards

ALAN

Last edited by ALANS ANITAS; 16th Mar 2011 at 3:43 pm. Reason: Addressed to wrong forum member
Old 16th Mar 2011, 4:50 pm   #4
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Good to hear that in the present economic climate, Maplin are still able to whether the storm and opne new stores, but at the smaller stores, to save a wasted visit, it's wise to ring to check that:

a)They have the item in stock that you need, and;

b) In sufficient quantities.

I say that because many items aren't stocked at all in the smaller shops and are 'web only'. I'm not talking about exotic things - as an example, I called into the Hull store yesterday for a 1000uF 16V cap - 'web only'. The local staff are very helpful and will order stuff in for collection to avoid delivery costs on small order if you aren't in a hurry. However, if you have to make a special return journey to pick stuff up, fuel costs nowadays become significant.

Of those items that are stocked, the stock levels are often very shallow - just two or three. That isn't a criticism - this is of course a consequence of Maplin moving from a wholly mail order firm, to one with some 180 stores, and new ones opening each year. With such a huge inventory it wouldn't make economic sense to stock a proliferation of low value, low turnover stuff in any depth, if at all, when such stuff can be had via the website.

In the mid 1990s, Maplin started to open very large stores (10,000 sq ft) in major locations which they then called 'Mondo Stores' (a term I haven't heard used of late) in places such as Leeds, Nottngham, Lakeside etc. At the time, they claimed that all catalogue lines would be stocked, but whether that's still so, I've no idea.

Off the topic of the Rugby and N'pton branches, but I hope it helps save wasted journeys.

David
Old 16th Mar 2011, 10:43 pm   #5
Station X

Before visiting Maplin I always check branch the stock level online. Cheaper than a phone call and can save a wasted journey.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 17th Mar 2011, 10:11 am   #6
Retired
Heptode

Hi,

I stopped visiting Maplin's a few years ago because I became fed up of "it's out of stock but I can get it for you in the morning". This was at both Sheffield and Barnsley branches; at the time I emailed Maplin's asking what was the point of having large stores with equally large overheads but nothing I wanted in stock; I received a of of excuses.

I also used to visit their large depot at Wombwell and liked it there as they always had everything in stock but then this was closed to retail customers on the grounds that it was too dangerous to visitors owing to the large wagons operating from the same site.

I do however enjoy a trip to N R Bardwell's in Sheffield; this is a wonderful old fashioned store where the staff are very knowledgeable and helpful.

Most items I now need are bought online; this saves a great deal of driving around wasting expensive petrol and time without all the parking hassles or risk of fines; for the price of postage items are quickly delivered to my door.

Good luck to Maplin's and I hope the new store doesn't fall into the usual pattern of out stock a month after opening; I never visit Maplin's or look at their website any longer.

Kind regards, Col.
Old 17th Mar 2011, 10:50 am   #7
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Maplin for a while have steered away from electronics parts and kits and towards the burgeoning market for electronic kids' toys.

You have to remember that they need to make a profit and in the present climate it's not easy.
Old 17th Mar 2011, 11:33 am   #8
Paul Stenning
Administrator

I have found Maplin useful when I have needed computer parts in a hurry. Often cheaper and better range than PC World, and staff who know what they are talking about.

I normally check stock online before making the journey though.

It is understandable that there isn't much money to be made in selling resistors and capacitors etc since very few people will want to buy them retail and the profit margin is minute, so they won't hold much stock of these in the stores. Getting them in for you the next day with no postage costs is good service, or just order online if the postage is cheaper than the fuel costs.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 18th Mar 2011, 10:54 am   #9
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

As this thread is just a Maplin Moan, I've found a padlock in the catalogue.