UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Sep 2020, 1:39 pm   #1
beery
Heptode

Default Best typical 1930s table set?

Hi all,
I'm more into TVs than radios, but as I get older I am appreciating radios more.
I'm also aware that 1930s wooden radios (probably mt favourite period from an asthectic design point of view) seem to have dropped in value somewhat. I'm wondering whether I should preserve a few.
I currently have the early post war version of the Philips 206A and various 50s radios (too many DAC90As!), but only one truly pre-war radio, the Marconi 262 (AC version).

I'm interested in people's opinions of the performance of 1930s mains table sets to find out which are best from a technical point of view.
Looks can be factored in, but are of secondary importance, for instance I wouldn't want round Ekcos to get to the top of the list on looks alone.

In order to limit the scope, I'm only interested two or three band sets with basic features (no motorised tuning etc.).

I wouldn't expect to see those nasty Cossor short superhets in the list. I had one once and I really couldn't get on with the combined volume and reaction control.

Anyway, please do let me know the following:-
What do you think are the best sets?
What do you think makes those particular sets better than others?

Cheers
Andy

Last edited by beery; 23rd Sep 2020 at 1:40 pm. Reason: Spelling
Old 23rd Sep 2020, 2:20 pm   #2
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Default Re: Best typical 1930s table set

I'd be asking which ones had an RF stage (long superhet?)
Old 23rd Sep 2020, 2:48 pm   #3
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: Best typical 1930s table set?

Yes, "long" superhet (with RF stage) and proper adjustable-selectivity would be 'must haves' for me.

Good short-wave coverage would be important as well.

Some would say a push-pull output-stage was the mark of a 'good' radio too, but that only makes the stations-you-can-hear louder; if you can't hear 'em in the first place then the best audio-amp in the world's not of much use.

[I've always wondered: just how much usage did the short-wave bands get on a typical domestic radio of that era? I can perhaps understand that short-wave coverage would have had a greater importance to radio-purchasers in the 1930s due to the emerging political situation across Europe, but did people _really_ spend their time listening to Lord Haw-Haw or similar?]
Old 23rd Sep 2020, 4:03 pm   #4
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6Tanuki View Post

[I've always wondered: just how much usage did the short-wave bands get on a typical domestic radio of that era? I can perhaps understand that short-wave coverage would have had a greater importance to radio-purchasers in the 1930s due to the emerging political situation across Europe, but did people _really_ spend their time listening to Lord Haw-Haw or similar?]
It must have been considered very unpatriotic to do so, but we must have listened in droves in order to have entered our national psyche. His drunken ramblings must have had the opposite effect to what was intended to anyone other than the most weak-minded.

Just my perception, I was born in 1953.

Post war I would say interest in SW was the preserve of the enthusiast SWL, that's Short Wave Listener, a term that seems to be depreciated (in the Linux sense of the word) these days.

There was a bit of a respite in the 70s particularly with the 49m band appearing on some transistor portables, and even a Sharp car radio I had.

Most people today haven't a clue what shortwave is.

The situation in other parts of the world is bound to be different, particularly in those countries that used shortwave for domestic broadcasting.
Old 23rd Sep 2020, 4:51 pm   #5
Freya
Octode

My newest oldest set is a 1936 All wave 8 by GEC, takes some beating in performance.. and weight. Two SW bands MW and LW.
Old 23rd Sep 2020, 5:04 pm   #6
greenstar
Octode

The HMV's with an RF stage sound good to me , and perform well. Even the smaller five valve sets sound good. You do need a wheelbarrow though, with the big ones. They were a household god. Was it significant that the big 30's sets were a similar size and weight to a 50's telly?
Old 23rd Sep 2020, 5:22 pm   #7
newlite4
Octode

For simplicity and performance I would have said any of the thirties EKCO or Murphy table sets. I bought an EKCO ACT96 from an old friend down the road a few years ago. It had been in his dry shed for around 60 years. After a gentle start up as a precaution it came back to life with no problems. That's the mark of a quality set.
Neil
Old 23rd Sep 2020, 5:28 pm   #8
Reelman
Octode

Unfortunately I have not the recent experience of enough 30s sets to be able to comment although when I was young they were common enough and a few found their way to me via generous neighbours. All were eventually stripped for parts.

Drifting off topic slightly...
Other than SWLs and prospective amateurs I would imagine that few people in this country listened to the “foreigners” on shortwave at any period. I believe the number of SW bands on a radio were mainly an item to boast of to friends.
My grandad had a lovely Marconi radiogram with 4 SW bands but never listened to them. My mother said that pre-war most moved from the usual BBC station on a Sunday to Radio Luxembourg because of the lack of “entertainment” but returned to The Beeb on Monday. The only person I knew who regularly listened to SW was my dad and that was only because of his continental origins and consequently his affinity with Europe. I still remember Eddie Startz on a Sunday morning.

Peter
Old 23rd Sep 2020, 6:34 pm   #9
kestrelmusic
Hexode

Can I put in a plug for the Pye T series sets from the mid-'30s? They are handsome pieces of furniture in addition to being thoroughly well engineered sets. The T10 in particular had a separate tuned RF stage before the frequency changer.
Old 23rd Sep 2020, 7:15 pm   #10
rontech
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenstar View Post
The HMV's with an RF stage sound good to me , and perform well. Even the smaller five valve sets sound good. You do need a wheelbarrow though, with the big ones. They were a household god. Was it significant that the big 30's sets were a similar size and weight to a 50's telly?
We had an HMV 650 table model ca 1937 10 valve long med and 3 short waves. KT63 p-p output Also a Marconi 564 console version. Very heavy as you say.
Old 23rd Sep 2020, 7:20 pm   #11
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

As a home constructed set the early 30's WW communications receives would be hard to beat.

Ed
Old 23rd Sep 2020, 9:40 pm   #12
Joe_Lorenz
Hexode

Hello,

some of my favourites are 1935 - 1940 Mende radios such als MS225W, M185W or similar. Mostly easy fixes, often for sale on ebay and not too expensive. No gimmicks, both Bakelite and wooden cabinets depending on model, with or without magic eye. I own several of these an they are just like an old Volkswagen in the garage: Not exciting but a good friend to rely on.

Another example would be a Telefunken 564 WLK: Nice cabinet, a little more sophisticated receiver giving very good results after complete recapping with fresh valves. Harder to find than Mendes.

Kindest Regards, Joe
Old 23rd Sep 2020, 9:58 pm   #13
PaulR
Dekatron

Another vote for the various iterations of EMI sets with an RF stage. They are stable, sensitive and the potted capacitor can is fun to empty and re-stuff. I also have a Murphy A46 which works very well.

A McMichael 135 is also good, if large. I suppose it is strictly a short superhet as the output valve is run directly from the detector, which is a separate valve.

Edit - The McMichael only has LW and MW, although MW is described as "Short" on the selector knob so it falls outside the requirements.
Old 23rd Sep 2020, 11:06 pm   #14
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Post 3*. The Murphy A92 Station Master surely?

Dave W
Old 23rd Sep 2020, 11:49 pm   #15
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelman View Post
. I still remember Eddie Startz on a Sunday morning.

Peter
Another Happy Station listener here. First on my kit one valver (1T4)
and later on my R107.
Old 24th Sep 2020, 8:57 am   #16
McMurdo
Dekatron

I don't think, performance wise, many 30's british sets stood out more than the others IMHO, most of them were built to similar circuits and most perform pretty well, that big speaker in a big heavy box, nice transformer and pretty dials. The 4V+R layout and all that. I'd pick ones that look pretty and 'of their time' which usually means art deco, and either strikingly beautiful (there's been a thread on that), quietly restrained opulence, or grotesquely ugly (need a thread on that).
Old 24th Sep 2020, 10:23 am   #17
murphymad
Heptode

Well Andy, if you want something that is obtainable for your collection, won't break the bank and will fit with your criteria and give you something that is actually really worth listening to, and by that I mean is in itself able to give excellent quality, make the best of the available signal and will be able to deal with some level of interference I would suggest a Murphy A50 ( no I am not biased at all...) or an HMV 469. Both are larger table models. Both have front RF stages, excellent signal to noise, large speakers and excellent amplifier stages. If you really want to go big and heavy then the HMV 650 with P-P output is very nice, but the difference in perceived quality is marginal for the extra size.
Having all three of these sets here and running, I still go for the Murphy A50 simply because it has a crisper treble reproduction than the EMI sets. A violin solo in an orchestral piece is so real! The only downside of the A50 is the fact that most of them have part of the dial markings rubbed away due to the shrinkage of the celluloid dial cover that then rubs on the revolving drum.
Mike...
Old 24th Sep 2020, 10:47 am   #18
mark2collection
Hexode

... don't mind me, just passing by ... Philco 444? (runs for cover!)

We also have the Philco 333 (TRF, possibly not your cuppa by the looks of your initial post), both sound nice, work very well. I find them interesting in that, it's amazing they work at all with so few parts.

We also have a Pilot Model 53 (wooden), 8" driver, KT** output valve, and Radio Bournemouth on the dial. Now this set does sound really nice and has responded well to mild fettling.

It's purely a coincidence the Philco's & Pilot are from the American-yet-British built stable, I tend to shy away from wooden cabinets too and currently haven't the space for more sets, especially the big wooden ones.

Interesting thread, this could pave a way to have a pre-chrimbo sort/sell, to make room from the inspiration here.

Mark
Old 24th Sep 2020, 11:15 am   #19
Gabe001
Octode

+1 for the pilot, if you like large wooden cabinet sets.
Old 24th Sep 2020, 12:15 pm   #20
greg_simons
Octode

A plug for the Murphy A40 console model, with its advanced double conversion rf stages and afc circuitry plus push pull output stage it has to be a top performer.
Greg.