UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Sep 2020, 1:31 pm   #1
Levente
Hexode

Default Running a vintage tape recorder on 60Hz vs 50Hz with an inverter...

Hey Guys,

I hope you are all well. I would like to share something concerning an old tube tape recorder from the US. To cut it short, it must run on 50Hz 117v according to the label on it and the two synchronous motor. I did run this with a simple voltage converter with 60Hz, but it seems that the recorder does not run fully even and the motor is overheating after a few minutes of running time.

Decided to get an inverter. From 12VDC I get 110VAC with 60Hz. As soon as I try and play the recorder, nothing happening , or the motor is just trying to move a bit and the inverter is making a very "uneasy" noise.

The inverter is capable for up to 150Watts and my recorder is 90Watts.,

I wonder what is wrong here and if you could educate me please what I have missed here would be reeeeally greatly appreciated. ( Is it the Amps? )

Thank you.

Last edited by Levente; 23rd Sep 2020 at 1:36 pm.
Old 23rd Sep 2020, 2:10 pm   #2
barrymagrec
Octode

Default Re: Running a vintage tape recorder on 60Hz vs 50Hz with an inverter...

A 60 Hz motor will run at 5/6 of its nominal speed on 50Hz so you need the 60Hz inverter.

Unfortunately you will need a larger inverter to cater for the surge on switch on and the poor power factor of the motor load, 250VA minimum at a guess.
Old 23rd Sep 2020, 6:21 pm   #3
Levente
Hexode

Default Re: Running a vintage tape recorder on 60Hz vs 50Hz with an inverter...

Thank you for your advise !

I will look into a 350W inverter in this case.. that will give me approx 350VA. I feel so stupid I was not thinking of this..

My inverter is capable only 125W on 110VAC ... thats only 125VAC approx.
Closed Thread