UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Sep 2020, 3:26 pm   #1
SPittham
Diode

Default Audacity wow and flutter

Hi guys.
Anyone used the wow and flutter facility in Audacity? I cannot see how this works and it seems to be different on each PC I try. Just wondering!
Old 17th Sep 2020, 4:08 pm   #2
n.kelly3613
Triode

Default Re: audacity wow and flutter

Are you adding wow and flutter or removing it from a recording?
Old 17th Sep 2020, 8:37 pm   #3
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Default Re: Audacity wow and flutter

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=127882

I added the plugin to version 2.3.3 and the visualiser appears under "Analyze", but apart from reducing the amplitude of the selection I can't understand what it does.
Old 17th Sep 2020, 9:23 pm   #4
jamesperrett
Octode

From the little I can find it appears to be a wow and flutter analyser which requires a continuous tone.

If you need wow and flutter removal, Izotope have just brought out a Wow and Flutter module as part of their new RX8 Advanced package which is the most affordable automatic solution at the moment. However, I don't know how it compares with Celemony's Capastan or Cedar's Respeed which are (much) more expensive.
Old 17th Sep 2020, 11:12 pm   #5
TIMTAPE
Octode

I have Celemony Capstan's free demo but it is limited to about 6 seconds audio at a time.

I'm also testing RX8 advanced free 30 day demo. The Wow and Flutter tool has no such time limit but you cant save any project.

I'm using as a test an old tape recording with wow plus long term speed droop. The spectral display clearly shows the wow (about 2 Hz) in a 50 Hz tone which was accidentally recorded. The long term speed error is also clearly displayed. So far I've had good success with improving sections of the wow. So far the long term speed droop seems better addressed by RX8's Variable Pitch tool which is all manually adjustment.

I'll try and upload a screenshot of the very good spectral display.

Last edited by TIMTAPE; 17th Sep 2020 at 11:33 pm.
Old 18th Sep 2020, 11:50 pm   #6
jamesperrett
Octode

Like Tim, I'm currently demoing RX8 and I'd agree that it doesn't handle long term speed variations. I've had reasonable success with short term variations provided they aren't too large and it works well at removing flutter from what sounds like a dirty cassette machine capstan. It also seems to handle correcting the pitch from recordings of off centre records.
Old 18th Sep 2020, 11:58 pm   #7
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Just for the record, folks, Respeed works, both on drift and wow. It needs careful driving, to be sure, but I have retrieved some badly affected recordings with great success.
Old 19th Sep 2020, 7:00 pm   #8
jsantoro
Diode

I have used it to calibrate my W+F meter. (which was dead on, so the plug-in is accurate)
Old 14th Jan 2021, 7:31 pm   #9
Balle Clorin
Diode

jsantoro:

Can you please explain how to make the plug-in work. It runs but does not give any result.

I load a 3150Hz recording wav file/select wav by CTRL+A, go to Analyse and click "Wow and Flutter" / A green time bar shows and the displayed file shrinks a bit, but the display is still of the 3150Hz file, not any demodulated wow and flutter spectrum.

The trick to make it work is to have a short mono file. I tried a 12 minutes stereo file, but nothing happened.
Old 15th Jan 2021, 3:50 pm   #10
Balle Clorin
Diode

I think I figured it out, it works only with mono/single channel files, below a certain length. Tried a short file with only one channel and it worked.
Closed Thread