UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 12th May 2013, 5:38 pm   #1
zooterman
Retired Dormant Member

Default setting up a Quad 11 system

Can someone advice me about setting up a Quad 11 biamp system, can I use a modern preamp to do this.
Thanks
Old 12th May 2013, 6:56 pm   #2

Default Re: setting up a Quad 11 system

Why are you bi-amping?

Old 12th May 2013, 9:58 pm   #3
Herald1360
Dekatron

Do you mean stereo with individual Quad IIs for each channel, or two Quads with frequency range splitters to drive separate woofer and tweeter?
.........O..Chris....O
Old 13th May 2013, 9:13 am   #4

Bi-amping is usually two amps feed with the same signal and then onto halves of the crossover, some 'speakers have 4 terminals just for this. I have never understood why this is done and if using a valve amp a large signal that is out of band will generate a high voltage much the same as not having a 'speaker connected.

Old 13th May 2013, 12:14 pm   #5
Herald1360
Dekatron

Arghh!

Surely the band splitting is done on the inputs to the amplifiers. That way you can make decent crossover filters without needing to cope with speaker level powers.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 13th May 2013, 1:42 pm   #6
Radio Wrangler

Biamp, I thought meant the use of two amps directly to two drivers in a speaker and the use of a low-level crossover.

The split crossover networks in speakers are for people who use a single amplifier, but feel it important to use different types of wire for bass and treble content.

I agree with Merlin that driving a split crossover with two amplifiers and no low-level crossover would produce very unsatisfactory load impedances for each amplifier in part of the band, while each amplifier was still driven in that part of the band. However, there will be someone out there doing it

Aargh would be putting it mildly.

David
Old 13th May 2013, 2:53 pm   #7

Quote:
Biamp, I thought meant the use of two amps directly to two drivers in a speaker and the use of a low-level crossover.
So do most people (with a smidgen of engineering knowledge), unfortunatley it seems that these days it is (as I said) merrlily splitting the frequencies at the 'speaker and using seperate amps for each.

A properly engineered multi amp system with low level crossover(s) would take care of the different requirements of the drivers and work well, this bi-amping (frequency selection at the 'speaker would (does) not.

I am sure it's a marketting ploy, look at Help, my speakers have six (or more) terminals? on this link http://www.arcam.co.uk/advice-and-su.../bi-amping.htm and to think I worked for them once.

Old 13th May 2013, 4:27 pm   #8
Radio Wrangler

It carries the hallmarks of purest Marketingspeak! One of the paths leads to the not-really-biamping thing, while both other outcomes are instructions to go visit your dealer and spend more money! Case proven.

After bi-wiring, bi-amping, how about bi-powering? Petrol generator for the treble amps and Diesel for the bass. You can't trust this electricity out of the wall, you never know where it's come from.

David
Old 14th May 2013, 11:20 am   #9

Also known as buy-amping. I like the generator idea

Closed Thread