UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Jul 2011, 5:38 pm   #1
zooterman
Retired Dormant Member

Default Garrard RC 110 cartridge help

Hi All.
It seems the cartridge on my RC 110 is duff, I guess they are not available now. I see on a previous post that someone said a Goldring or Ronette cartridge would fit, can anyone enlighten me? I will post a pic tomorrow.

Thanks,
Wal.
Old 17th Jul 2011, 6:27 pm   #2
MikeyPP
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Garrard RC 110 cartridge help

this topic offers some info and advice > https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=39399

hope it helps
Old 17th Jul 2011, 6:38 pm   #3
zooterman
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Mikey.
I did see that thread but it was closed, just wondered if the poster sorted it out.
Wal
Old 17th Jul 2011, 7:07 pm   #4
MikeyPP
Retired Dormant Member

Doesn't stop you PM/emailing them
Old 17th Jul 2011, 7:41 pm   #5
Audio1950
Dekatron

A Ronette certainly won't fit straight in, nor will a Goldring, who don't, as far as I know, make a turnover cartridge. The only other cartridges fitted to these decks as standard were the Acos GP37 and GP59, both of which are long obsolete. There are no replacement cartridges available that will fit in the same way as the original, i.e. throught the hole in the front of the arm. Apart from the various cast mouldings in the headshell, there is also the problem that the top inner surface of the headshell is domed, so you have no flat surface to mount a conventional cartridge to. You will have to modify the headshell. See my contribution to the thread mentioned above in #2 for my solution to the problem.

Barry
Old 17th Jul 2011, 8:05 pm   #6
zooterman
Retired Dormant Member

Well it looks like a chop job, wish me luck.
Wal
Old 17th Jul 2011, 8:48 pm   #7
Audio1950
Dekatron

Just to elaborate a bit, when you get your new cartridge, and have removed all the mouldings in the headshell, buy a pack of "Miliput" modelling material, mix it in to a putty as per instructions, and press a chunk of it into the base of the headshell (You will be holding the arm upside down). Lightly grease the top of the cartridge bracket, and press it into place, making sure the stylus arm just clears the edge of the headshell. Then remove the bracket. This will serve two purposes a) it will give you a flat surface for the bracket to sit on, and b) It will leave an impression of where the central fixing hole has to be drilled. If you want to avoid drilling, embed a small machine screw in the putty, drill the hole in the bracket out, and fix with a nut, before clipping the cartridge in. Miliput sets like rock after about 12 hours, but if you are removing the arm, about an hour in a low oven will ensure it never moves!

Barry
Old 19th Jul 2011, 5:15 pm   #8
zooterman
Retired Dormant Member

Well it's now up and running with a new cartridge, I glued it on the old alloy bracket that held the original cart so it stilll looks correct, the one problem I have is a hum in the speakers, fitted an extra earth line but can't get rid of it, anyone any suggestions.
Wal
Closed Thread