UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Jul 2011, 5:56 pm   #1
zooterman
Retired Dormant Member

Default technics 103 switcher HELP needed

Hi.
I have just aquired this item without any instructions, searched the net but unable to find any details, I need some giudance on setting up , see pics
Thanks.
Wal
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0531.jpg
Views:	619
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	53839   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0533.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	53840   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0532.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	53841   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0526.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	53842   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0524.jpg
Views:	478
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	53843  

Old 12th Jul 2011, 6:03 pm   #2
MikeyPP
Retired Dormant Member

The 'switcher' as you describe is a shop use 'comparator' to demo various bits of kit (amps and speakers,turntables etc)
They were never retailed to my knowledge as they have no real use in a home, and for that reason you won't find any info out there.
As for setup I'd have thought it was straightforward , they are clearly marked up.

You'll probably find all the push switches are knackered too, tarnished/worn contacts

I junked a couple of these last year when I moved premises
Old 12th Jul 2011, 8:02 pm   #3
zooterman
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: technics 103 switcher HELP needed

Hi mikey.
The unit is in pristine condition, I want to set it up in my workshop but being a Wally I just need a little help with it.
Wal
Old 12th Jul 2011, 8:11 pm   #4
MikeyPP
Retired Dormant Member

It really is quite simple

Step 1 Connect all your speakers to the 'Speaker Out' connections (the read and black push connectors)
Step 2 Connect all your amplifiers speaker outputs to the other red and black push connectors labeled 'Amplifier Output' - You can have five amps connected to the system.
Step 3 Connect all the sources you have to the AUX input phono sockets. - you can have five sources.
Step 4 Connect the aux outputs (phono pair by pair) to all your amps AUX (doesn't have to be AUX though) inputs
Step 5 connect up to 5 turntables to the turntable inputs
Step 6 Connect the turntable outputs to each amps turntable input

preadjust the volume on all the amps beforehand and make sure only one switch on the front of the technics is selected at any one time in each group (always) and switch every thing on.

Use the buttons to select which source to play out on whatever amp and whatever speaker you choose with the buttons

Obviously when you're solely listening to turntables, you need to preselect turntable on all your amps beforehand, same goes if you're solely listening to non turntable sources.

PS Don't do any switching at high volumes , comparators are somewhat renowned for killing amps occasionally

Last edited by MikeyPP; 12th Jul 2011 at 8:18 pm.
Old 13th Jul 2011, 5:54 pm   #5
zooterman
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Mikey,
Thanks for that info, is it possible to connect tape recorders to it
Old 13th Jul 2011, 6:30 pm   #6
zooterman
Retired Dormant Member

Forgot to mention that I am unable to get any sound from speaker outlets, this cap tests low ESR on my meter so it may be that. see my thread on components & parts section.
Wal
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0545.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	53890  
Old 13th Jul 2011, 7:35 pm   #7
cmjones01
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooterman View Post
Forgot to mention that I am unable to get any sound from speaker outlets, this cap tests low ESR on my meter so it may be that.
A faulty capacitor is very unlikely to cause this in such a simple switch box. You'll need an amplifier connected to one of the 'amplifier' inputs, a speaker connected to one of the 'speaker' outputs, and the correct switches for that amplifier and speaker engaged on the front. Only then will you hear something, assuming your amplifier is putting out a signal. I would be very surprised if there was anything but wires and switches, possibly in the form of relays, between the amplifier and speaker terminals. Of course, the switches could be dirty or worn out, causing poor contact.

I hope this helps
Chris
Old 13th Jul 2011, 7:56 pm   #8
zooterman
Retired Dormant Member

I have connected an amp and speakers, I have sound going into unit but no sound at speakers, if the cap is US does'nt that affect the relays.
Old 13th Jul 2011, 9:16 pm   #9
MikeyPP
Retired Dormant Member

Before connecting a load of kit to it, connect one source, one amp and one pair of speakers
Choose number 1 button in of these for simplicity and select them

From memory it uses relays to do most of the switching/routing, you must check the supply for these relays is good and that supply is probably on that cap, so check volts across that.

The cap is unlikely to be duff (and isn't, as proved by yourself) and won't be the cause of your problems, of course if there is no supply on it then you've found your problem.

As well as having a few of these technics units, I made several shop comparators some 17 years ago for my previous employer, capable of 20 amps and 20 pairs of speakers, lots of cable and lots of relays but they worked fine. I also did an AV version with 5 amps and choice of 5 fronts and 5 centres too.
A lot of building required , I remember it well

As a very basic check of supply see if you can hear the relays clacking as you change switch positions on the front panel, then dive in with your meter to check further.

As for tape decks yes of course you can connect them as sources (ie outputs of them only), any phono plugged source can be used
Old 14th Jul 2011, 6:38 pm   #10
zooterman
Retired Dormant Member

Well folks.
I've cracked it, got everthing wired in and all works well, bit of a brain teaser but got there in the end, but not without your help I must add.
Thank you very much.
Wal.
PS Mikey you should make some more I was offerd £500 for this one.
Old 14th Jul 2011, 6:45 pm   #11
MikeyPP
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:

as mentioned ... I skipped TWO last year !!!
and even ripped one of my made ones to bits for the relays a year or some ago

£500

Unless you have an absolute shedload of separates they are pretty pointless in the home environment

Is it cos they have the technics name on em?
Old 14th Jul 2011, 6:57 pm   #12
zooterman
Retired Dormant Member

Yes I do have a LARGE shedload. the person who made the offer has a HiFi shop.
Thanks for your help.
Wal
Old 14th Jul 2011, 7:03 pm   #13
MikeyPP
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
I can that - gi's a job
Won't look as pretty as the technics (large (430mm ish) ally project box with black lid, but it'll do what he wants it to.

If they still make those big boxes?
size was required co the back panel is riddled with chocolate block
Closed Thread