UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Aug 2017, 6:38 pm   #1
John G8MWF
Hexode

Default KB FB10FM 32+32+32uF - NEEDED!!

This is from a KB FB10FM and the HT smoothing cap has dried out - surprise!

I have never seen a triple 32uF can before and I suppose 'stuffing' is the only option? If so that is going to be VERY tight or it may not possible.

A suggestion has been made to me to replace the cap with a Tag strip but I would like one of the rarer sets to look original on the inside as well.

It probably is not an original cap, the can appears to be about 20 x 75mm,and de-soldering the tags will probably damage/lose them due to the number of components and the way the have been located.

So the big problem for me is to safely remove it and how to stuff this can with 32+32+32uF - has anyone managed this yet?

Or does anyone have a spare or a better plan for me?

Kind regards
Old 28th Aug 2017, 6:46 pm   #2
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Default Re: KB FB10FM 32+32+32uF - NEEDED!!

Could you fit three of these into the can? Size 33uF 450VDC 12.5mm X 25mm, think I have the dimensions correct but they are in the table.

http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/2321299.pdf

Frank
Old 28th Aug 2017, 6:47 pm   #3
Top Cap
Octode

Well Cricklewood do a 32+32 if you can stuff a wire ended somewhere for the third. It is a 500V worker so may be a bit too large in diameter at 35mm x 50mm? Looked for triples myself for a home project but never found one. :-(
Old 28th Aug 2017, 7:07 pm   #4
John G8MWF
Hexode

I found some 32uF that are 16x20mm and they may fit but the can dimensions are estimates taken from the outside and using a screwdriver as a guide to the lengths!

The existing can also uses its own lugs to hold it to the chassis and if one of those should break in removing it or during its replacement then it would be time to say oh dear!!

So I think its scratch my head and say hmmm - you never know a better answer may be out there . . . . .
Old 28th Aug 2017, 7:17 pm   #5
Nuvistor
Dekatron

I had one of cans with lugs and they did break, cut my losses and mounted the replacements on a tag strip.

This thread may help, perhaps?
https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=102689

Frank
Closed Thread