UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Aug 2017, 10:18 pm   #1
Nicko
Pentode

Default Dating a Roberts R66?

Hi

I have a Roberts R66, s/n 21137
... Can anyone tell me when and where it was made?

Thanks
Old 27th Aug 2017, 11:50 pm   #2
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Default Re: Dating a Roberts R66?

It will have been made at Roberts' Creek Road, East Molesey factory, in 1957. The R66 was only current in 1956-7, and yours has a serial number pretty close to the end of production - we've 58 R66s on file at the Roberts group, serial numbers ranging from R.2173, the lowest ( I suspect they began at R.2001), to R. 21827.

Paul
Old 28th Aug 2017, 6:08 pm   #3
Nicko
Pentode

Thanks for that - appreciated!

Anything particular that I should look for when overhauling this one - looks pretty standard...

Very clean example indeed, thankfully. Spotless inside and undamaged/excellent exterior.
Old 28th Aug 2017, 8:40 pm   #4
Tim
Dekatron

If you are stuck most(if not all) of the R55 (battery only) radio bits-no PSU obviously-are the same.
I have only done one of these, which had an OC LW osc coil. A scrap R55 kindly donated one and then the R66 worked very well and sounded good.