UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Mar 2015, 3:51 pm   #1
toshiba tony
Heptode

Default Focus Pin Corrosion

Just a quickie please, why did the focus pin on colour crt's used to corrode, going back to the tv days in my past I can remember this happening. Many thanks.
Tony Walker
Old 6th Mar 2015, 3:58 pm   #2
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Default Re: Focus Pin Corrosion

A guess, I wonder if there was some corona around the pin under damp (condensation) conditions and once started the the ozone corroded the pin/socket.

It is an interesting question.
Frank
Old 6th Mar 2015, 4:01 pm   #3
Nicklyons2
Octode

I would think largely an effect of damp combined with the high voltage. Sets with low voltage focus and sets used in dry conditions didn't, in my experience, suffer any problem. I used to look after many sets where the kitchen and living room were either combined or adjacent and, even with hybrid sets, when a dinner was being prepared - steaming pans etc, condensation could be enough to cause eht flashover; I've used many a tube of eht grease to that end.
Old 6th Mar 2015, 4:55 pm   #4
Nuvistor
Dekatron

The older CRT's with larger bases did not, for me at any rate, cause too much of a problem. It seemed the smaller necked tubes, with very often smaller screens suffered more. Of course the smaller sets where probably in the Kitchen or bedroom where condensation would probably be more in evidence.
I only saw a few sets with the problem though, perhaps because I was out of the trade before portable colour sets became popular.
Old 7th Mar 2015, 6:02 pm   #5
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

I remember this. I had quite a few do just this and it was difficult if not impossible to salvage the tube. I think it was the small black base used in the 110 degree in line tubes. J.
Old 8th Mar 2015, 3:33 pm   #6
Chris55000
Nonode

Hi!

Another point to note was that the original delta-gun CRT usually needed only about 3500V from what was a relatively medium-impedance supply, whereas the more modern in-line CRT often required 5500 to 7500V, (particularly towards the end of the CRT era) and the introduction of diode-split LOPTs did tend to mask the fact that the actual operating voltage was often much higher!

I suspect there's a threshold of about 4000-4500V where corona between the focus-anode connection socket and the actual CRT pin starts to become a problem - below that voltage, as in older CRTs, it rarely showed up unless the house was actually reeking with damp!

Chris Williams
Old 9th Mar 2015, 8:30 pm   #7
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Hi there
Another reason might be the demise of the spark-gap. Once upon a time, if the house was damp then the gap would start to fizz happily before the pin corroded. I've had many of those little red polo-mint gaps disintegrate before the owner reluctantly called me in - often after a visit to the opticians!
Glyn
Old 9th Mar 2015, 9:02 pm   #8
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

I certainly remember and the spark gap problems.