UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Aug 2017, 6:50 pm   #1
BakeliteMan
Retired Dormant Member

Default Bush VHF61

Hi All

Although I'm in my 60's, I am the new kid on the block here. Ten years ago my wife bought me a Bush VHF 61 we spotted for sale in Lyme Regis. Brought it home and switched it on (I didn't care that it might not work, it just looked beautiful to me). I tuned into something and then switched it off. It has sat in the corner staring at me ever since, but I now want to clean it inside and out - and have it sat next to me in my garden shed.

It's dirty, dusty but pretty much unscathed. I love the look of this domestic radio but it needs TLC. I am not 'electrical' and I am not an RSGB convert either. I confess I would like to eventually pass my RSGB Foundation certificate - but that's something quite different to this little fella.

Looks like there are some very knowledgeable folks in here, so I was wondering whether I could persuade anybody in the community to help and guide me through a process of restoring it, please?

Best wishes

Steve
Old 29th Aug 2017, 9:32 pm   #2
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Default Re: Bush VHF61

Do you want it working or as an ornament in your shed? Sorry if it's a daft question but it's not clear to me.
If you want it working, what skills, tools and test equipment do you have?

Frank
Old 30th Aug 2017, 5:51 am   #3
sobell1980
Octode

Good morning Steve. We share the same story which got us into this addictive hobby. I too bought my first wireless from Lyme Regis and got it working. I bought it from the Emporium that's on the beach front on the parade. It was a a Roberts small battery set. Never looked back since. Funnily enough I too bought a Bush VHF61 last week from a trip to Bournemouth from another vintage shop that I intend to start repairing over the coming weeks. I haven't started a thread yet but I will do shortly. You will find loads of help from the forum members. You will need to start with some basic soldering skills and kit. Good for you wanting to have a go . I'm sure the other members will guide you through a repair. Best of luck.
Dave.
Old 30th Aug 2017, 5:57 am   #4
sobell1980
Octode

May I suggest you start by following the below link and reading it. It's full of valuable information and is part of this forum too. It's a good start and what I did when new to the hobby. It's enough to make a tool list and get you started alongside the advice given here. I will be following this thread keenly.
Dave .

http://www.vintage-radio.com/repair-...ion/index.html
Old 30th Aug 2017, 10:01 am   #5
PJL
Dekatron

These sets are not the easiest to work on as they are full of small plastic coated Hunts capacitors all of which will need replacement to get the radio working correctly. You will need a lot of patience, replacement capacitors, a good soldering iron and some high quality cutters and tweezers.
Old 30th Aug 2017, 11:32 am   #6
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

...and good lighting and eyesight.

But the results are well worthwhile and it's unlikely there will be much else wrong other than some perished rubber wiring to the scale lamps, magic eye and speaker.
Closed Thread