UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Aug 2017, 7:11 pm   #1
Scarrowman
Retired Dormant Member

Default Philco 2620E

Hi All,

I have a Philco Valve Radio, namely the 2620E. It was made in the USA and the label inside the wooden case shows it was an imported model. The label says "The Philco Radio and Television Corporation of Great Britain Ltd., Perivale, Greenford, Middlesex". The radio is a six valve, ac mains operated valve radio. There is a suffix on the label of SD. 10/35.

Please can anyone date this model? Is it year 1935? Are there any plans available online for download; eg circuit diagram, sales literature, etc.

Any other information on this model greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Scarrowman
Old 27th Aug 2017, 8:23 pm   #2
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Default Re: Philco 2620E

Hi a picture of the set may help identify it as would a list of the valve types used. There is some Philco service data available, have you looked at the data service operated by this forum?
See top right of page.

Ed
Old 27th Aug 2017, 9:43 pm   #3
Scarrowman
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Ed,

Hopefully I've attached two photo's of the Philco 2620E.

The first photo gives you an idea of size/shape of the radio. The second is a photo of the label inside the cabinet.

The six valves shown on the label are -

78 (RF)
6A7 (Det Osc)
78E (IF)
75 (2nd Det)
42E (Output)
80 (Rectifier)

If anyone knows anything about this radio, please let me know. I'm particularly interested in an exact date. Is this make/model worth anything?

Many thanks,

Scarrowman
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Philco 2620E.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	148543   Click image for larger version

Name:	Label inside Cabinet.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	148544  
Old 28th Aug 2017, 10:39 am   #4
martiR2R
Hexode

RM has 1936 for the EZ version

"Philco (GB) model 2620 EZ is an export model for France and has a chassis built in Philadelphia (USA). The cabinet is made at Perival, Greenford, Middlesex (GB) and the dial scale is printed in French with PO, GO and OC. "
Old 28th Aug 2017, 10:48 am   #5
ms660
Dekatron

Schematic etc for a Philco 2620 here if it's any use:

http://www.nostalgiaair.org/pagesbym...4/M0013174.pdf

Lawrence.
Old 29th Aug 2017, 5:41 pm   #6
Scarrowman
Retired Dormant Member

Hi,

Thanks for information so far.

I have found that my Philco 2620E is almost identical to the 2620. Furthermore it is very similar to the 620, which has a much easier circuit to read, albeit the reference numbers are different.

I have discovered that my volume pot is toasted open-circuit. Looking at the circuit diagram (620 shown), there is what appears to be an unusual set-up for the volume pot. It shows a tapping on it of 225,000 ohm feeding back from the tone selector/output valve.

Question - is this a normal type of set-up? Is there an accepted way of repairing/substituting a replacement on/off potentiometer here?

Many thanks,

Scarrowman
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Volume Pot.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	115.7 KB
ID:	148597  
Old 29th Aug 2017, 9:10 pm   #7
Herald1360
Dekatron

It's not unusual. As an arrangement it generally acts to increase bass level at low volume levels which is supposed to sound subjectively better.

Getting a functional equivalent, let alone a direct replacement is a pain. Add feedback into the mix and it gets more interesting!

There's a two pot arrangement using a relatively obtainable stereo volume control which may be usable but it's simpler just to forget the tone bending function and use a standard volume control setup.
.........O..Chris....O
Closed Thread