UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Aug 2017, 9:15 pm   #1
Webster007
Retired Dormant Member

Default Identification of a vintage radio

Hi

I am new to this and have found a valve radio contained within an old cabinet in my dads lockup.

The valves have Marconi and OSRAM markings.

I have attached some pictures to help.

Is it worth getting working or pass it on for spares?

Thank you

Martin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	radio front.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	148536   Click image for larger version

Name:	radio back.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	148537   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170723_132200.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	149.3 KB
ID:	148538   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170723_132137.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	137.0 KB
ID:	148539  
Old 28th Aug 2017, 12:14 am   #2
Herald1360
Dekatron

Default Re: Identification of a vintage radio

How long is a piece of string?

I don't recognise the set except as an interesting relic from the late 1920s. It's missing its tuning/reaction coils from the knob controlled pair of connectors shown in the chassis picture. Perhaps the most interesting find is that mains power unit (HT battery eliminator).

Getting it working would be a challenge (how great depends on your skill level in 1920s electronics) and may ultimately be unrewarding in terms of what could be received nowadays.

Don't part it out, someone (on here or elsewhere) will take it on if you decide not to keep it!
.........O..Chris....O
Old 28th Aug 2017, 11:05 am   #3
PJL
Dekatron

A homemade set from the mid 20's. It seems to have rheostats for the filaments which were typically used on bright emitter valves but I am not sure they are wired for that. Suitable plug-in coils can be found fairly easily (maybe you already have some).

The transformers are the usual faults on these. You can measure the resistance of the primary and secondary windings to see if they still have continuity.
Old 28th Aug 2017, 8:37 pm   #4
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Martin, it looks as if it had a mains power unit (do not use until thoroughly checked out as it could be lethal !). It can be powered by batteries and should almost certainly work when fixed. It is a relatively simple circuit and as another member has said, coils, transformers and connections are your main problem.

Ed
Closed Thread