UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Jun 2010, 5:34 pm   #1
zooterman
Retired Dormant Member

Default Tracking weight for

A Shure V15 111, I need the tracking weight for this cartridge, I know someone will have this info.
Thanks.
Old 21st Jun 2010, 5:47 pm   #2
mickjjo
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Tracking weight for

You should find the answer here:-

http://www.vinylengine.com/cartridge...t=&prlo=&prhi=

There are several versions of the V15 111.

Regards, Mick.
Old 21st Jun 2010, 5:56 pm   #3
Kat Manton
Retired Dormant Member

Hi,

Specified as 0.75 g to 1.5 g (for the V15 III with no suffix; which I'm assuming you're after. Note that it's 'three' in roman numerals, not one-hundred and eleven; to a search engine that makes a lot of difference.)

I use manufacturer's data as a starting point. Start off around mid-way then listen to it, on (good) headphones. Play something that's 'difficult' to track, listen for distortion. Increase VTF until it tracks properly.

Too low and the stylus loses contact with the groove walls, causing distortion and damaging your records. Setting VTF just above the point where distortion is eliminated also minimises the risk of damage.

Don't be afraid to slightly exceed the specification, by the way. I have an AT-95E which mistracks at the 'maximum' 2.5 g, just about starts to sound right at 2.75 g and works best at 3 g. Stylus suspension compliance can vary with age or from batch-to-batch. Setting VTF by ear gives you the right VTF for your specific cartridge and stylus.

But, make sure that any distortion isn't due to misalignment before winding up the VTF. The Shure V15 III uses an elliptical stylus, that makes alignment quite 'picky' IME. (I have one, it tends to take several hours of fine-tuning to get the damn thing to work. When it does work, it's superb.)

Cheers, Kat
Old 21st Jun 2010, 6:28 pm   #4
zooterman
Retired Dormant Member

Thank you all for the info, I have a couple of these cartridges, been searching for ages trying to get an original stylus, but to no avail, so have fitted a replacement one.
I agree the best way to set it up is by ear, but wanted the weight as a starting point, I have it on a SME 3012 arm on a Thorens TD 124 deck.
thanks all.
Old 27th Jun 2010, 7:10 pm   #5
qualityten
Octode

Hi Zooterman,

While the advice given above about VTF is spot on, you might want to see if a Shure V15 is the right cartridge for an SME 3012. It may be too compliant for such a heavy mass arm. It would have been matched with an SME 3009 Series III in the 70s.

I have had good results on a 3012 with the humbler Shure M75, but will try my V15 III to see if there is a difference. The cartridge that many recommend is a Denon DL103, but this needs a step up MC transformer.

Cheers, David
Closed Thread