UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Nov 2012, 7:44 pm   #1
vintage
Retired Dormant Member

Default Valve amp help.

Hello Guys!! I'd like to have a try at building my own valve amplifier (with the assistance of my over qualified pops). I'd like to use it to play records through and hopefully record to tape, but I'm unable to track down any diagrams. Anyone have any idea where I could find one? Not too good with surfing the net but will attempt it.

Thanks, Jorge.
Old 21st Nov 2012, 9:25 pm   #2
Peter.N.
Dekatron

Default Re: Valve amp help.

If you are using octal valves I could probably draw one from memory but I expect you want something newer than that. I am sure there are many members with diagrams that they can post.

Peter
Old 21st Nov 2012, 10:07 pm   #3

Here... http://www.r-type.org/articles/art-003.htm

Old 21st Nov 2012, 10:16 pm   #4
Alan Stepney
Rest in Peace

The Mullard 3-3 is an excellent amplifier, but you could also make one using an ECL80 or ECL 82.
(Or a pair of them if you want stereo.)

Although, as Peter said, Octal valves might be considered to be old fashioned, they are easier to work on as there is more space around them.
If that is your choice, a 6V6 plus a 6SN7 for each channel would be a good choice.

There are loads of circuits around for all of those combinations.
Old 24th Nov 2012, 10:28 pm   #5
Neil Purling
Nonode

It depends on the level of the input into the amplifier. I assume you are feeding the output of the record player to it, but I have no idea what the cartridge on the record payer is.

The Mullard 3-3 is a good bet. I used a Svetlana EF86 & Reflektor EL84 & the completed amplifier is no worse for not being Telefunken/Mullard/Brimar or whoever else is top of the food chain in the audiophool bible. I don't know or care who made the EZ81 rectifier, it doesn't matter. It is probably underrated anyway.

I used a recycled power transformer, because it gave the right 300V HT. I had a Forum member wind me an output transformer.
Old 25th Nov 2012, 9:18 am   #6

Here is my 3-3 implementation... https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=78559

Old 25th Nov 2012, 11:47 am   #7
GrimJosef
Dekatron

I don't know how things are in South Africa, but if cost is an issue then a cheap source of parts in the UK would be a late-production valve stereogram. I don't like suggesting that people break anything for parts. But over here these things can hardly be given away and I suspect most end up being recycled for scrap. Obviously they'd contain valves, sockets, a mains transformer, two output transformers and maybe some useful connectors, tagstrips etc.

Cheers,

GJ
Closed Thread