UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Apr 2018, 2:37 pm   #21
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: Fidelity HF 43 Record Player

Yes, but thiis will be just the same with 4 pins. This was suggested as the X5M is in very short supply and many sellers are now out of stock. The X5M is the best and easiest option if you can still get one.
Old 26th Apr 2018, 3:06 pm   #22
Techman
Dekatron

None of them will be as loud as your original cartridge as they're 'ceramic' rather than 'crystal'.

Before going any further, have you actually confirmed that your X5M crystal cartridge is faulty?
Old 26th Apr 2018, 9:03 pm   #23
leslie5555
Heptode

In my experience the bsr x5s and x3s can be brought back to life by carefully opening them up and cleaning the contacts, you have to take great care when doing this as the contacts inside are very thin and can tear easily.
I've done lots of these and never had a problem with them.
Worth doing it will save you money you don't have to spend anything to do this.
Old 29th Apr 2018, 8:58 am   #24
Righton!
Triode

OK. Restoration is going well, but there is another issue. Decided to have a closer look at the cartridge but now looks as if I need to rewire the tonearm! Have been looking at these copperwire tonearm kits that come with the copper wire, cartridge clips, solder etc. Would it be OK to use such a kit on the player I have? ie:are they universal and can be used on most players/turntables ,or are they just for specific turntables?

Once again, any advice greatly appreciated.
Old 29th Apr 2018, 9:40 am   #25
Audio1950
Dekatron

Why do you need to rewire the arm?
Old 29th Apr 2018, 10:18 am   #26
Righton!
Triode

Hi there. Thanks for your reply. I attempted to take the cartridge out without realising that the tone arm wires were soldered/heatshrinked onto the cartridge. So now I'm fearing that the wires may now not be long enough in order to fit a cartridge back on. Hence me thinking of getting one of the tonearm kits.
Old 29th Apr 2018, 10:25 am   #27
Righton!
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Huggins View Post
Yes, but thiis will be just the same with 4 pins. This was suggested as the X5M is in very short supply and many sellers are now out of stock. The X5M is the best and easiest option if you can still get one.
OK. Thank you for that. Will have a look around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techman View Post
None of them will be as loud as your original cartridge as they're 'ceramic' rather than 'crystal'.

Before going any further, have you actually confirmed that your X5M crystal cartridge is faulty?
Hi there. Thanks for replying. Haven't actually checked but just have a feeling that because of its age that it could be better. How can I tell if it is faulty?.
Old 29th Apr 2018, 10:31 am   #28
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Righton! View Post
Hi there.Thanks for your reply.I attempted to take the cartridge out without realising that the tone arm wires
were soldered/heatshrinked onto the cartridge.So now i'm fearing that the wires may now not be long enough in order to fit a cartridge back on.Hence me thinking of getting one of the tonearm kits.
The tone arm wires should be soldered (and usually rubber sleeved) onto connecting tags, that then pull off the cartridge. They are unlikely to have ever been soldered directly to the cartridge, unless it has been "got at" by a previous user. The tags push onto the 2 pins at the rear of the cartridge.
Old 29th Apr 2018, 10:32 am   #29
Righton!
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by leslie5555 View Post
In my experience the bsr x5s and x3s can be brought back to life by carefully opening them up and cleaning the contacts, you have to take great care when doing this as the contacts inside are very thin and can tear easily.
I've done lots of these and never had a problem with them.
Worth doing it will save you money you don't have to spend anything to do this.
Hi there. Thank you for that. That could be an option. Will definitely consider that. Silly question but could you use contact cleaner to do this?.
Old 29th Apr 2018, 12:22 pm   #30
Righton!
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Huggins View Post
The tone arm wires should be soldered (and usually rubber sleeved) onto connecting tags, that then pull off the cartridge. They are unlikely to have ever been soldered directly to the cartridge, unless it has been "got at" by a previous user. The tags push onto the 2 pins at the rear of the cartridge.
There were rubber sleeves directly on the cartridge pins. No connecting tags whatsoever. I was thinking this wasn't quite right but at the same time wondering if it was manufactured that way?

Last edited by Righton!; 29th Apr 2018 at 12:28 pm.
Old 29th Apr 2018, 12:31 pm   #31
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

No, it would not have been made that way. The rubber sleeves will usually conceal the connecting tags - are you quite sure they are not there?
Soldering directly to the cartridge pins would most likely ruin it and no Manufacturer would do this.
Old 29th Apr 2018, 12:33 pm   #32
Righton!
Triode

Hi Edward. Hopefully I've uploaded the picture properly. This is the cartridge before i dismantled it. As you can see there's no cartridge tags included. Thanks again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180426_213809.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	161973  
Old 29th Apr 2018, 12:38 pm   #33
ms660
Dekatron

Normally inside the sleeving, can't quite tell from that photo.

Lawrence.
Old 29th Apr 2018, 12:53 pm   #34
AC/HL
Dekatron

That blue corrosion doesn't bode well for the cartridge. It's probably caused the tags to stick to the cartridge pins, resulting in the wires breaking before the tag came off. With luck there will be a bit of slack somewhere in the wiring, but you'll likely need new tags as well as the cartridge.
Old 29th Apr 2018, 1:09 pm   #35
Righton!
Triode

Thank you for your replies. Could not see any tags at all. Plus they were so tough to get off, the wires had broke as well as the pins looking very corroded. Yes hopefully there will be some slack in the wires, but I may have to go down the rewiring route.
Old 29th Apr 2018, 6:49 pm   #36
Audio1950
Dekatron

Connect the spare pair of wires in the arm to the cartridge, disconnect the other ends from the tag strip under the deck, then connect them to where the existing wires are connected to that strip. Saves a lot of work!
Old 29th Apr 2018, 6:50 pm   #37
Righton!
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC/HL View Post
That blue corrosion doesn't bode well for the cartridge. It's probably caused the tags to stick to the cartridge pins, resulting in the wires breaking before the tag came off. With luck there will be a bit of slack somewhere in the wiring, but you'll likely need new tags as well as the cartridge.
Actually, on closer inspection there was tags on the cartridge, albeit very small ones. One is still on one of the pins, the other was stuck in the rubber sleeve. Hardly noticed them. Not sure if the cartridge is salvageable but will attempt to at least remove the one tag off the pin and clean the pins with some contact cleaner to get some sort of result.

Thanks again.
Old 29th Apr 2018, 7:04 pm   #38
Clydeuk
Hexode

The blue corrosion suggests that the crystal inside has absorbed moisture and disintegrated. I very much doubt this cartridge will be of any use.
Old 29th Apr 2018, 7:42 pm   #39
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Well we did tell you they would be there! Yes, they are very small and delicate. Clean the pins/connectors with a very fine emery cloth. I would cut the rubber sleeves off and then push the tags back on with small tweezers. With no sleeve on, you can see how well they are fitting. Just make sure they don't bridge each other. This is the kind of thing we restorers do all the time and this action often can bring the full sound back. But, if you do find no improvement, you need to get a replacement cartidge - so don't delay.
Old 29th Apr 2018, 8:48 pm   #40
Righton!
Triode

Thanks so much everyone for your kind help and comments. Will take all your advice and knowledge on board and will do my best to bring it back to life and will let you know the results.

Much appreciated!
Closed Thread